QC gear box for 101.07403 craftsman 12" lathe

customchris

Registered
Registered
I need a QC gearbox for a 101.07403 craftsman 12" lathe or the gear set... I found one on ebay for $500. Thats is crazy I only gave $850 for the lathe..
Thanks
Chris

Ebay prices for them are crazy. I picked up a whole atlas qc54 for $250, most of the lathe was junk, but I did get a qcgb out of it and I sold off some parts to recover the $250. Keep your eyes open, the do turn up once in a while.

Chris, you should be able to find one for $200 or so. Be sure to get the leadscrew with it in the length correct for your lathe. There are some other differences too IIRC. I think I have a lot of docs pertaining to that. Send me an email and I'll share what I have

As Schor said, often you can buy a whole parts lathe with QCGB for the same money. Sell off the spares and make some money on the whole deal.

Rex

Chris,

Not that it helps you any but what you paid for the truck, radio, mill, lathe, etc. has nothing to do with what accessories for any of those things cost. Lathes in particular (and the other items to some extent) don't generally sell well as complete units. Too hard and expensive to ship safely and too cheap for most people to be willing to pay what the shipping costs). Anyway, lathes are cheap. Accessories usually aren't, in part because they sell well. You might find a QCGB for $200, but not on eBay. The average there is about $450 to $550.

Unless there is something wrong with your existing lead screw, you do not need another one. All 12" Atlas built lathes with 3/4" lead screws built from 1940 through 1967 use the same lead screw and RH bearing. After 1967, the lead screw changed slightly but the earlier version can be easily modified to work (shorten and drill one hole).

Robert D.

I would be fine with the change gears .. what other models have the same change gear set?

All 10F Change Gear models. 101.07362, 07363, 07382, 07383, 07402. In addition, any 10" or 12" with QCGB will use a few of them. The difference between those that will work and those that look almost exactly like them that won't work are that the A-rev gears (that will work have 1/2" thick hubs. The earlier gears have 3/8" thick hubs. They could actually be made to work but would each require two .0625" thick double-keyed spacers. Which because of the double keys would be difficult to make. However, the early ones are quite scarce.

Back