Q about the LMS belt drive on the HF mini mill

upTheHill

Active User
Registered
i just installed the LMS belt drive on my HF 44991 mini mill.
when it's in the high speed config, the spindle stops turning if i ry to set the speed up very far.
is this normal?
the directions say to increase speed slowly in high, but this seems a little to sensitive to me.
dint see the problem in low epeed at all

TIA

Just did the same conversion, Dave. I started out with the belt in the high speed position and increased the speed slowly. Apparently not slowly enough, because the speed varied or oscillated up and down. I turned the speed dial down and brought it up slower, and then it got up to full speed. Decided to use the low speed option, which worked well for some 1/2" endmill work I did today.

Tom

Just did the same conversion, Dave. I started out with the belt in the high speed position and increased the speed slowly. Apparently not slowly enough, because the speed varied or oscillated up and down. I turned the speed dial down and brought it up slower, and then it got up to full speed. Decided to use the low speed option, which worked well for some 1/2" endmill work I did today.

Tom

did the same thing. just put it on slow speed, cranked it up and did some work on a part for my john deere,
probably just keep it there, or maybe 1/2 way up on high, if i need a little fqster speed.

The high speed has less torque so it has to strain more to get spinning. It kicks off the overload protection if you try to turn it up too fast. It has more torque on low speed so it doesn't set it off.

It looks like this kit has been discontinued. I've heard that the HF mini is the same unit as the Sieg X2 with slight differences. Are the parts interchangeable?

It looks like this kit has been discontinued. I've heard that the HF mini is the same unit as the Sieg X2 with slight differences. Are the parts interchangeable?

hmmm, it's not on LMS web page anymore, and it's shown as out of stock on te manufacturer's web page

and yes, the HF 44991, grizzly 8689, and LMS are basically all the same sieg x2 machine.

hmmm, it's not on LMS web page anymore, and it's shown as out of stock on te manufacturer's web page

Here is the LMS page.

IMPORTANT NOTE, JANUARY 2013: The manufacturer of this product is no longer making them. We are working to find a new source and hope to have a new belt drive conversion kit available by mid-2013. We're not accepting orders for this product at this time

I believe the manufacturer is Steele Company, LLC.

BenchTopPrecision also has a kit & it appears to be different but they also currently show out of stock.

Gee Dave, we must have bought the last two, lol.

Tom

Glad you got one Shawn. They do indeed quiet things down.

Tom

Back