Q About Indexable Cut Off Tools

On a small lathe like that a HSS parting blade will be better than inserts. If you have a 4 1/2" angle grinder you can get cutoff wheels for them . For harder metrial I will start with a parting tool and finish with the band saw. Before I got the bandsaw I used the angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Hack saw is to much like that fou letter word { work} :finger wag:

that tile saw is an interesting idea, I'll put that in my mental storage.

I used a 4 1/2in angle grinder to cut the 3 1/2" octagon out of 1" steel plate (A36 I think, scrap freebie), boy that was a mess. Ended up needing to finish off the job with a hacksaw as I only had 1 cut off disk left. I wonder how a sawzall with a 8/10tpi bimetallic blade would fare? I even asked the machinist/ repairguy at work if I could use his bandsaw and he said no :(

+1 on the HF bandsaw. Best $200 you will ever spend. If you don't have room, consider one of the porta-band saws.
And I sure would not run carbide parting tools on a 618.

Cutoff/parting tool..HarborFreight "tile" blade I think it was. about $10 does NOT flexView attachment 103817

View attachment 103817
Looks like the bisque jointer blade I just used as a slitting saw 30 minutes ago.

OP I'd say your band saw is too fast as is. You need to change the pulleys to slow it down. I seen some one on YouTube parting with a hand hacksaw under power. I think it was toolbalcane or how ever it is spelled. I've not tried that one myself.

You can find horizontal bandsaws on CL, that's where mine came from when my dad and grandfather bought it many years ago. It sat mainly unused and in disrepair, when I got into this I fixed it up first thing and it's been a reliable and back-saving machine ever since. Best tool in the shop, hands down.

roger that on the horizontal bandsaw, I'm 100% with you all there, just not until I've moved into a permanent place sometime next year. Our last move across the US came in at $1/lb, so a small HF bandsaw is going to be upwards of $100 to move, which doesn't make much sense, plus eastern WA is a bit of a machinery desert.

My benchtop bandsaw is one of those slightly cute little 9 or 10in 3 wheel hobby models. It does a somewhat ok job on alu, but the motor is smaller than a mug of coffee and pretty feeble so slowing it down means that pressure on the blade just stalls it.

I'll check out my sawzall on a piece of steel later in the week. I have some spare blades for it, so even if I dull one I'll still have others to use.

If you slow it down correctly by changing the pulleys it will have more power.

I use a Ryobi variable speed sawzall (corded) with Lennox bimetal blades, or some off-brand bimetal for nasty stuff. Low speed, frequent application of cutting fluid, and of course eye protection.

Back