Purpose of pin on Atlas 10D headstock spindle shaft

OK, that means the earlier models had two plain thrust bearings. One either side of the small journal, hole and pin for each.
I was thinking that the two holes might have been closer together, paired so to speak for the outside bearing.
Didn't clarify my question very well.
You might be on the money with the 9" version.

I can see now how my earlier statements WRT the second pin and hole could just as well have applied to two holes around the spindle as to two holes along it.

However, having seen the two drawings (spindle and pin) but having never seen the assembled spindle, or in fact never having seen a 10" with babbit bearings, I am going to ask what may to those of you who have seem a dumb question. Why does the pin need to be removed?

In order to remove the washer and gear plus the 4 step pulley the pin has to be removed. The washer shown in #1 picture 1 has no slot allowing it to slide off the spindle similar to the washer below the spindle in pic 1.

Well, what confuses me is that the pin, according to the drawing, is 0.250" long, and the hole depth is 0.1875". And at least according to the drawing, the hole depth is a full 3/16" deep at the drill bit;'s diameter. And a little over that in the center. According to the spindle drawing, the shoulder height should be 0.125". And only 1/16" of the pin would be exposed on centerline. Plus a little more at the edges. Anyway, the gear, cone pulley and bull gear should have slid off over the pin with several thou to spare.

If you wouldn't mind, the next time that anyone has the spindle out of a babbit bearing 10" or 12", how about measuring the length of the exposed antii-rotate pin, on the center-line? Maybe they were in the habit of not fully seating it.

Back