Purchased a "cold welder"

I have used it on mild steel, stainless, copper, crappy stamped steel of unknown chemistry, plated metals….since it’s DC (my model, & I don’t think there is one that does AC with the cold feature) I haven’t tried any aluminum. I am VERY interested to see how titanium goes today. Hang tight, I’ll be screwing around shortly.

Don't set your Titanium on fire. If you do, get video.
Robert

Correct, no AC. A capacitor discharges and has to recharge and that takes time. Pierre

Don't set your Titanium on fire. If you do, get video.
Robert
Yeah, that was there at the back of my mind, but more so the expense and time it took to get this piece of Ti tubing….and now it’s a bit hardened on that end but…
No issues.
9F2EAEC8-EE7B-4ECC-AF4D-F50699D41DA2.jpeg

Looking around, I found scrap copper and stainless…
C585708D-1187-433A-8C0D-69F614F0DDDF.jpeg
and of course two pieces of stainless welded autogenously. VERY low heat
B5A87133-0440-4470-8924-B1CCF940CA98.jpeg
really dinking around. Other that copper to stainless (though I could probably pulled that off better with silicon bronze) I find it’s main purpose as, low heat input sheet metal welding. I gotta let it sink in as I’m just running around the shop like 6 year old in a candy store, grabbing odd things to weld together. It’s like tacking on acid.
Again, if anyone has any good ideas/requests for tests…I’m excited to try it. It is like learning all over again, settings are different, fine tuning takes a bit. (If I had more copper, I think I could do it purdy.) I am perplexed why there is a DC on or off option in some settings. I mean, that’s all it does so….

Back