" Protanium "

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
New Hex wrenches made from Protanium . Hm.........................one notch below Un-obtainium ?

Manufactured by American Tool ( from Thailand ) . :grin:

About ten years ago KBC tools had a deal if you spent over $100 you got a set of Bondhus metric and imperial hex wrenches. Pretty sure they were made in the USA in Minesota. Great wrenches use them every day.
Must have outsourced them now?
Martin

New Hex wrenches made from Protanium . Hm.........................one notch below Un-obtainium ?

Manufactured by American Tool ( from Thailand ) . :grin:
Made in USA, Sold by AmericanTool (Thailand); scroll down and the Product Listing calls out where the tools they sell are sourced from. My recent (May, 2021) Bondhus Protanium® hex drivers:

1667748320899.png

However, nice play on words.

Its just their proprietary steel alloy as it says in the link you listed?

They are excellent wrenches. As a CNC mechanic nearly all the fasteners are allen head cap screws. Bondhus holds up very well, just as good as wiha and PBswiss. That trifecta is a step above the other manufactures.

Tip, At work the smaller Allen sizes get lost and they only provide full sets so there is an over abundance of 5/16, 3/8, 8mm, and 10mm. I used an abrasive chop saw to cut off the L of the wrench and use carbide insert tool on the lathe to turn punches. I make set of short nose (1/2" long) long handle starter punches out of them. These starter punches get pins moving with force so you don't bend your long pin punches. The length of the shank makes for a much longer and therefore handier punch than using pin punches that have damaged tips shortened.

Last edited:
This is what we have in at work . Just never saw the Protanium proprietary steel listed on the packing material . Yes , I know they are good quality tools .

This is what we have in at work . Just never saw the Protanium proprietary steel listed on the packing material . Yes , I know they are good quality tools .
It is curious that when you do a search for “protanium high-torque steel” the top result is the Thailand webpage - I guess they have good meta data.

Someone couldn't figure out who American Tool is and what Protanium is, and how it all relates to Bondhus. No wonder conspiracy theories run rampant.

Back