Proper drum switch wiring Dayton 2X440A

c1802362

Registered
Registered
I got myself into a pickle....

The single phase, 115V 1 HP motor powering my South Bend 9A needed a new shaft bearing. It also became apparent the drum switch needed replacement. So I procured a Dayton 2X440A drum switch while the motor was being repaired.

I am now trying to put the system back together and have a small problem. I can't figure out which terminals on the drum switch to wire into the cable coming from the motor and out to the wall plug. (The instructions inside the switch cover are incomprehensible to me).

As shown on the attached graphic, which drum switch terminals (1-6) are the leads (A,B, C, D) wired to?

Attachments

• drum switch.jpg
    drum switch.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 27
That particular diagram is not for a reversing motor, I think that you should have four wires coming from the motor to the switch, I'd take the switch to the motor shop and ask them how to connect it.

Did you not label the wires from the previous drum switch? Tsk, tsk. Gotta leave a trail of bread crumbs.
John is correct, you need more than two wires from the motor to the switch to reverse it. Do you want forward and reverse or just on/off?
Can you post a couple more pictures? Need to see motor data plate and drum switch top view with cover off
Are you wanting to use 120 volts AC or 240?
-Mark

Last edited:
Talk to the guys that repaired the motor.
bring the drum switch over. in 2 minutes they should be able to tell you how to wire it.

Did you not label the wires from the previous drum switch? Tsk, tsk. Gotta leave a trail of bread crumbs.
John is correct, you need more than two wires from the motor to the switch to reverse it. Do you want forward and reverse or just on/off?
Can you post a couple more pictures? Need to see motor data plate and drum switch top view with cover off
Are you wanting to use 120 volts AC or 240?
-Mark
YES I DID! However, the new vs. old switches are different enough they've confused me and a few electricians. The original switch/motor wiring had hot/neutral/ground entering the switch and hot/neutral/ground leaving.

I'm off to the motor guy next.

Here's a graphic with the info you were interested in

Art
motor.jpg

YES I DID! However, the new vs. old switches are different enough they've confused me and a few electricians. The original switch/motor wiring had hot/neutral/ground entering the switch and hot/neutral/ground leaving.

I'm off to the motor guy next.

Here's a graphic with the info you were interested in

Art
View attachment 401277
BTW, 120 V single phase

Art: can you zoom in closer on the switches?- pictures are too far away to see clearly. Motor also.
I can do a sketch for you but need better views to work from, and more info
thanks
Was the original switch operating as a forward/off/reverse switch or just forward/off? (on/off)
What is different about the two switches? Can you show me?

If you just want to switch the motor on and off, and the switch is the common "hockey stick type"
then you would just connect the power to switch terminals 1 and 5 and the motor wires to 2 and 6.
The motor would then run in the same direction for both positions of the switch handle.

Attachments

• Drumstyles1.jpeg
    Drumstyles1.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thanks for the help - I talked with the motor repair shop - they had no ideas

The first two images are of the new Dayton 2X440A drum switch

The original drum switch setup was FWD - OFF - REV

Let me know if you need additional info

Art

new switch - LH side.jpgnew switch - RH side.jpgmotor as wired.jpgmotor wiring diagram.jpgmotor dataplate.jpgold switch - LH side.jpgold switch - RH side.jpg

OK I see part of the mystery already- your old switch was/is a "chopstick or 3-phase type" and the new one is the "hockey stick type"
I'm not surprised the motor shop couldn't help you- it requires thinking which is a rare commodity these days.
Let me cogitate for a bit and I'll draw up something for you
This should work- couple more wires needed for new switch
Swap Drum 3 and 4 if required to match motor rotation with switch handle.
-M
Drum120vMarHKY.jpeg

Last edited:
OK and thanks. I'll have to splice in some wire to extend the lengths from the motor to the drum switch. I'll start working this tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

Art

Back