Propane Cost Question

SE18

Active User
Registered
I'm currently using those little propane containers everyone gets from big box store to fire my grill. Now that I'm developing a forge, I'm looking for ways to save money on fuel. The first way to save, I realized, is not to trade tanks, but to get refills. I'm using my local TSC and realizing savings already.

Now, I'm thinking there could be another way.

As TSC does each time about this year, they send out fliers advertising price cut items. Again this year, it's a 100Lb Manchester tank for $120 ($10 off). In the ad, it says: "all cylinders 50 lb or larger are overfill protection device exempt."

What does that mean in terms of cost?

For instance, if I have a small tank that cannot by law be filled up to the top. Say it's a 15lb tank and they fill it to 12 lb. Do I get charged for 15lb even though they fill it to 12 lb or is it regulated by the propane regulator similar to like the gas pump at a gas station.

IOW, is it more cost effective to get a 100lb tank that's filled to 100lb?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

second unrelated Q. Since I might be going back to TSC, they're offering Dewalt 4.5" 7 amp angle grinders for $50. Does that seem like a good deal and brand? If I don't buy the tank (I'd rather not if there's no cost savings, I'd sure like to get the grinder)

A propane tank should never be filled to more than 85% of capacity to allow for expansion. A completely filled tank could blow with disastrous results if the surrounding temperature were to rise. When I was running a propane fired forge, I had an old tank from from a taxi that had the same fill is the 250 and 500 gal tanks and had it filled at the per gallon price. It was about a 20 gallon tank and was portable (just). You might look around for a used tank. Many businesses use them on fork lifts.

I believe that when they fill the smaller tanks it is by weight and you should be charged by fill weight but obviously, that can vary from dealer to dealer. I would check with your local dealer(s) as to practice.

Bob

You pay only for the gas that is supplied. My local propane station has a meter that tells them how much was filled. Some suppliers charge by the size of tank kind of a flat rate.
I converted my BBQ to natural gas and hooked up to my gas supply line. Much nicer to just connect the quick coupler and go without worrying about running out. Cheaper too.

thanks guys; that pretty much answers everything

Just did the fork lift tank thing (for a fork lift) and they are liquid supply so not what you want unless using a vaporizer.

On your second question:
If you plan on using your grinder as a grinder, the 10 amp model is the way to go. There is a big difference between the two. I have about 10 dewalt 4.5" grinders and the 7 amp models see flap disc duty only. I like the 10 amp model with the paddle trigger the best. I use them daily in a 9 hour work day and they last about a year. If I used the 7 amp model as a grinder it lasts about 2 or 3 months.

You pay only for the gas that is supplied. My local propane station has a meter that tells them how much was filled. Some suppliers charge by the size of tank kind of a flat rate.
I converted my BBQ to natural gas and hooked up to my gas supply line. Much nicer to just connect the quick coupler and go without worrying about running out. Cheaper too.

There is one problem with NG, and that is leaving the darn grill on and forgetting.
Snowed a couple of days later and I noticed out the kitchen window all the birds and squirrels gathered around the grill which had
no snow on it....

There is one problem with NG, and that is leaving the darn grill on and forgetting.
Snowed a couple of days later and I noticed out the kitchen window all the birds and squirrels gathered around the grill which had
no snow on it....
Yikes! I've not done that, yet. I always leave the grill on low after the BBQ is done and the eating's out of the way I use a water filled brush on the grill. This requires a hot grill. Then I turn it off and disconnect the hose.
I will remember your post now forever.

Back