Profile shaping on CNC mill.

Parlo

Registered
Registered
Using basic tooling intricate profiles can be generated on a CNC mill, some not possible with rotating tools or special cutters.

Why not just use a shaper.
There are over 500 strokes to produce the part profile, each stroke having it's own individual pair of Y+Z settings. It would take forever on a shaper setting each stroke individually.

Reasonably easy on a big shaper. 2 tools. Rough and profile finish.

The idea was not to use special cutters. The part would be finished before special tools are ground & it runs unattended.

Yep, if you are in it for making money running unattended is crucial, especially if you need more than a few. Depending on the accuracy required grinding the tools for a shaper may be beyond the small shop capabilities and the cost goes up with custom tools. Lots of ways to get things done. This one clearly works and is attractive for your part and machines. Being able to creatively solve the problems and get the job done is the fun part. That’s one of the things that makes this profession/hobby so compelling. Looks like plastic of some sort. How does this method handle cast iron or steel? Spindle lock without play to keep the tool steady? Maybe allow 3D shaping too? That would be sweet.

Yep, if you are in it for making money running unattended is crucial, especially if you need more than a few. Depending on the accuracy required grinding the tools for a shaper may be beyond the small shop capabilities and the cost goes up with custom tools. Lots of ways to get things done. This one clearly works and is attractive for your part and machines. Being able to creatively solve the problems and get the job done is the fun part. That’s one of the things that makes this profession/hobby so compelling. Looks like plastic of some sort. How does this method handle cast iron or steel? Spindle lock without play to keep the tool steady? Maybe allow 3D shaping too? That would be sweet.
I've only scratched the surface of what can be done.

Why not just use a shaper.

When you have a CNC but don't have a shaper. I'm always looking for out of the box ways to put my CNC mill to use. So far, used with a microscope, an optical comparator; with a diode laser, a CNC laser engraver; as a CNC vertical lathe; and as a shaper.

Back