Problems with boring on a lathe.

For those of you looking for an inexpensive way to sharpen carbide this is what I use. I bought a diamond grinding disk for HF. It is one that is used on their saw blade sharpener. Its cheap, if I remember correctly around $8 and $12. The only problem is it only has a 1/2-inch hole so I also purchased a cheap 5-inch bench grinder. The disk is a little coarser than the expensive wheels, but it gets the job done.

I also have some small hand diamond boards or files I use to touch up.

Fastback that's exactly what I did yesterday. I mounted this disk in a 4" grinder that I made and 1/2" adapter for it and for now I'm holding it in the bench vise. Later I probably will make a holder that attaches to grinder handle holes so it will be easier and more secure to mount it in the vise. I use the shield as a rest to hold the boring bar on.
IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

I've got a dumb question. I purchased two 3' lengths of drill rod from Enco b/c they were cheap. One is 3/8" and the other 1/2". I'm thinking about using them to make a boring bar. Are drill rods as strong as HSS or are they softer. If they're too soft to use as boring bars per se, I assume I can drill a hole in the end for a HSS insert I can make and drill another hole for a set screw to secure it in place.

oh, the rods are water quenched ones (not air or oil quenched)

Advice?

Thx

Dave

Last edited:
You'd be better off using the drill rod as a tool holder to avoid hardening and tempering.

Steve

OK, thanks (If I had an oxyacy or furnace I could get into hardening, but that will be for a later time) for now, tool holder then

You can make tools with drill rod. O1 would be arguably better than W1 as it hardens deeper. That is how they used to do it. The downside is that it is not as tough and heat resistant as modern HSS alloys. Save the drill rod for special stuff you can't use the standard HSS blanks for.

Dave you don't need any fancy furnace to heat treat small parts. You can use MAPP torch or one of those cheap MAPP/Oxygen torches from Menards or other hardware store. The only part that needs heat treatment is the cutting tip.

thanks for the replies. Sorry to hijack the thread but looks like it may have run its course and original poster got his question answered hopefully.

Regular HSS blanks look to be the best solution. Those pictures are really nice. Thanks.

One thing I didn't mention. I have to AXA chinese bit holders and one of them accepts a 3/8 round and I already loaded the other holders up with bits and so was thinking to use the 3/8 round in that particular holder, if not as a boring bar, then perhaps to hold a 3/8 round with an inside threading bit set screwed into the end.

Dave

Some worn HSS endmills came my way.Restoring by hand is impossible but resharpening one tooth is very easy.In Europe endmills comme in distinct shaft sizes and I tried to use one for boring in my boringtool holder.Cuts very well and I think I have sharp cutting corners for rest of my life.

I have done the same thing using HSS drill bits.

Back