Problem removing the woodruff key on dial shaft for Craftsman 101.07301

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have been trying to get the key out. There is little to grab on to but I can get it with pliers but it won’t come out.

It does rock applying pressure to the ends but doesn’t loosen enough.

I put on penetrating oil overnight and no change but will apply more tonight.

Any ideas on how to safely get it out?

Woodruff keys can be carefully tapped on one end with a flat screwdriver or small chisel, which will normally force it out the other end. Replacements are easy to find locally if it gets damaged.

Grind (if necessary) the end if a small chisel so that the included angle on the end of the chisel is slightly greater than the angle between the shaft and the end of the key. Hold the chisel against the end of the key at an angle to the shaft and tap on it with a small shop hammer. If properly ground and held , the sharp end of the chisel will not touch either the bottom of the key nor the top of the shaft.

Side cut pliers will get hold of it easy enough. Grab it low and rock the key forward with the plier nibs bearing against the shaft.

I use vise grips. Clamp them on tight as you can and tap on them with a small hammer to bring the key out.

Ted

There is no need for heat if the key is loose. As for the other methods, I have used all of them with success. A little oil or WD40 will help to reduce the friction.

Back