"Pro-Fuel" vs Acetylene ??

My welder uses the high current European style power connectors.
For Lift-TIG, I need a cable-to -torch type that comes out with separate tails, one for power, the other for gas. The torch has to have it's own valve knob. Apparently WP17 FV for 200A

For MIG, the gas connects into the back of the welder, and comes through with the standard Euro connector.
For Lift-TIG, one has to use the MMA terminals, and bring the gas in separately.
There are all manner of adapter, converters, Y-junction TIG cables, but not easy to spot the correct combination on eBay pictures.
Also, the only one's I have seen that seem to be correct candidates are China import.

I also wonder why the prices for the complete torch kit with 4m of 200A cable range from about £32 to £256. The intrinsic value can hardly span an eight-fold multiple without the higher priced one being a poor deal, regardless the quality, even if the low end is utter junk!
We don't need cables made of HiFi nutter oxygen-free copper, and handles decorated with gemstones and signed by some welding hero!

Eventually - I will figure this TIG thing out. :)

Maybe I am just old school. Have tig ,mig,and plasma ,but the oxygen acetylene torch is indispensable around the farm. Heating parts to loosen rust, blow out bearings,heat parts to straighen ,and braze broken cast iron. A week doesn't go by that the torch isn't used.

I would never want to be without my gas cart (acetylene & oxygen). I often end up working on thin steel tubing, and the gas welding is well suited to “the action unfolding slowly” (or, “less blowing holes in the thin material”).

O/A brazing is handy for filling imperfections (e.g. underfill or undercut) on thin steel weldments. You don’t have to worry about melting the base material; this makes for a repair job where you don’t have to stress out about screwing up the workpiece.

Gas welding is slow, though. Sometimes it seems to take 3-5 times as long to do a job. If you are not in a hurry, however, gas welding can be very relaxing.

Compared to TIG, setting up for gas welding & brazing is faster. It takes me a fair amount longer to set up for TIG, and I still always seem to forget at least one thing when I sit down to start TIG welding (e.g., TIG finger, turn on the Argon).

Last edited:
Back