Prison Carbine

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A few years ago I acquired this 1876 Winchester model '73 saddle ring carbine which for many years was a guard gun at Pentridge Prison in Melbourne, Australia. It shows wear from being handled and taken on and off the rack over time. However, it appears to have been shot very little, as the bore is perfect.

Unfortunately, the documentation was taped to the outside of the box when it was shipped, and got lost. When I Googled "Pentridge Prison rifles" virtually every photo that came up was practically a carbon copy of my gun, so I expect it is genuine -- no way to prove it though. Evidently, there was a fire at Winchester years ago that destroyed any pertinent record they might have.

Attachments

• IMG_8708.JPG
    IMG_8708.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8710.JPG
    IMG_8710.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9430.JPG
    IMG_9430.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I love old Winchesters. I have a few Model 94's and some others. I have passion cramps for a deluxe grade 1886, but I don't think I'll find one suitable and affordable. Nice find!
A few years ago I acquired this 1976 Winchester model '73 saddle ring carbine which for many years was a guard gun at Pentridge Prison in Melbourne, Australia. It shows wear from being handled and taken on and off the rack over time. However, it appears to have been shot very little, as the bore is perfect.

Unfortunately, the documentation was taped to the outside of the box when it was shipped, and got lost. When I Googled "Pentridge Prison rifles" virtually every photo that came up was practically a carbon copy of my gun, so I expect it is genuine -- no way to prove it though. Evidently, there was a fire at Winchester years ago that destroyed any pertinent record they might have.

Very cool!

I'm not sure what info you're looking for, but have you looked through what might be available from the Cody Museum that has serial number records, configuration records, etc for much of Winchester's history?

Back