MtnBiker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm about 3 days into the cleanup of a new to me lathe. Running a mill for almost a year and I find lathe tooling bewildering. And the prospect of grinding my own tools is something I maybe should learn...but the odds of that happening are about -27%.

I've asked around and searched this and other forums and honestly, I've found the topic overwhelming. I posed the question about whether there was a nice concise and up to date "if you have this size lathe, and this level of experience...buy this" type of guide. The machinist handbooks are more than I can digest and the PT Solutions/MSC websites and catalogs are not written for the people on this site (pro-CNC engineers...sure).

Had a few folks on the forum offer up the book "Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe". Actually written by one of our forum members. I was looking for something that would allow me to buy the right tools for now and upgrade to more advanced stuff when I got more experience. This book is the ticket!

The book is organized around the basic functions of turning/facing, parting/cut-off, grooving/profiling, boring, and threading. Each of those sections then breaks down various tool types and options based on the size of your lathe. Very simple, plenty of photos and diagrams, easy to navigate and with a thorough explanation of pros and cons of each tool / insert type. With all the poorly written documentation out there, this book was a great example of what good looks like.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for "new school" turning solutions without wanting to trial-and-error your way into a financial black hole.

I purchased on Amazon. Hope someone finds this information as helpful as I did.

Here is another thread that provides more info on the book:

I’ve had my copy now for a few days and I feel it’s worth the price!

Last edited:
Great book! I have read it cover to cover, and will probably read it several more times before my lathe arrives.
Agree. Need to read it a few times to know what I don't know. I really like the approach - spend money where it matters and save a buck or two where it doesn't. YouTube can only get you so far. This is the kind of technical info I like to have in a reference book.

Back