Press Fit of Aluminum

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Morning all,
How much larger should the diameter of a 6061 aluminum shaft be to allow a press fit into the same 6061 aluminum?

Thanks in advance.
Michael

What is the function of the joint? Transmit torque?

Asm109,
Carriage hand crank for mini lathe.

Machinery handbook has it all. Here is the table i think you want.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 87
Are you talking about the handle on the crank or the crankshaft itself?

Homebrewed,
Crankshaft itself. The handle will be bolted through bearings.

Are you sure that the shaft is Al? Wouldn't steel be a better choice? Pressing Al onto an Al shaft, there's a chance of bending the shaft - which would mean "start over". Not so much with Al onto a steel shaft.

Pressing aluminum into aluminum is not a good idea. The parts will gall when pressed.

Here's the plan....
I have 3/4" aluminum plate and plenty of round bar, also aluminum. I want to make a new crank and handle for my mini lathe carriage but, I need a bushing to be drilled, bored and reamed to fit the shaft with a set screw. I thought I could press a piece of round bar into a disk cut from the plate and then drill and ream that for the shaft. Add a knob with bearings on the front and I'm done.

Here's the plan....
I have 3/4" aluminum plate and plenty of round bar, also aluminum. I want to make a new crank and handle for my mini lathe carriage but, I need a bushing to be drilled, bored and reamed to fit the shaft with a set screw. I thought I could press a piece of round bar into a disk cut from the plate and then drill and ream that for the shaft. Add a knob with bearings on the front and I'm done.
Yea, I have done that. I would heat the disk in the oven to 150 degrees F /freeze the shaft and put together. .003" will work. Drill one or two 1/8 holes after they are together at the joint and place a dowel pin in it for a permanent joint.

Back