Preserving tools & machines from water/salt water damage from Irene?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Ok, so Irene is on the way to us down the east coast of the US, and there will be some flooding and even storm surges.

Anything to put on the tools and machines that will repel the water, absorb it, or cover the machines?

Thanks,

Nelson

Not a lot you can do to prevent all ingress on most machines. Gearboxes have vents or vented fill plugs. Heavy grease in the vent holes, but remember to clean it out. Electrical boxes that are not gasketed not much there, except maybe some spray lacquer over the wire ends to keep the water from wicking up into the insulation. Don't want to spray any oily coating on the contactors or switches. It might be possible to fashion a heavy trash bag and tie it off around the cord with electrical tape on some. Best thing for areas that can't be sealed would be to rinse thoroughly and force air dry after the flooding. Allowing water to remain, whether salt of fresh, is what does the real damage. It goes without saying to kill electrical power going into structure where severe flooding is expected.

LPS makes a good product, it displaces water and puts a barrier on electrical items. I did use this on car distributors when they would get wet and worked super. Just spray on and done, it evaporates quick. Shrink wrap electrical items and seal tight and hope for the best. Plastic bins for some tooling will help when you try to clean up and maybe save some time as well.
Good luck,
Paul

Re: Preserving tools & machines from water/salt water damage from Irene?

Mayhem link=topic=3256.msg23628#msg23628 date=1314622206 said:
So did your equipment stay dry Nelson?

Thankfully, things weren't as bad as projected. A little water came into the basement, but not really enough to be harmful. I made that shelf over the oil tank where I stored several motors and other tools, and they stayed nice and dry.

Next step is getting the VN #12 down there. That will be next week- weather permitting.

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

That was close- trees are beautiful, until a hurricane hits, then they are a real liability.

We have trees in front of our homes- well, I killed mine and got rid of it for just that reason. The tree fell squarely on my boss' house- luckily no one was hurt, but getting it lifted back up is going to be a real job.

Nelson

Back