Precision Twist Drilll drills made in Brazil?

Maybe it's just me, but does it really mater who makes it as long as it's priced appropriately for the quality?

I mean I America makes just as much crap as any other country.

I don't think made in America always means quality, but it used to much more of the time. And there are still companies trying to make it matter.

I just don't want anyone trying to sell themselves dishonestly on that pretense. I am completely clear on the point that these are actually good drills.
Some of my reasons for wanting to buy things built here regard the economy etc, but I have digressed down that road enough in this thread, and don't want to more.

I all for buying quality tools from anywhere, that's for sure! It is just nice to buy from people being paid a living wage.
Crap, I digressed again. :)

Bernie

Maybe it's just me, but does it really mater who makes it as long as it's priced appropriately for the quality?

If I have a choice of one brand of tooling over another and really know nothing about either brand I will almost always choose the USA made brand as long as I can afford to do so. Generally I will still expect USA made tools and tooling to be better than most import stuff out there.

If I have a choice of one brand of tooling over another and really know nothing about either brand I will almost always choose the USA made brand as long as I can afford to do so. Generally I will still expect USA made tools and tooling to be better than most import stuff out there.

+1

Bernie

Perhaps now we turn out more crap than we had previously, but at one time workers and companies had pride in what they made. Perhaps that will happen again, but I don't know. Thank NAFTA for that.

I look for US first, that is if it is made here. Germany, Brazil, England, etc are all in the same boat as far as quality. If it can't be found there, then I'll go to other countries that make tooling, but save China for last, and India just before them. The quality of their tooling runs from OK to outright crap, and I don't like putting money in their pockets for personal reasons.

I got my other set from my local guy here in NJ, and SOME of the bits are USA, and SOME are Brazil, mixed in the same set. I can't say I notice the difference in their cutting ability.

So PTD is mentioning their standards in my humble opinion.

Bernie

Technically they are Made in America, just that it's South America. You can go by "Made in America" anymore, items can say that as long as they are assembled in the US. Look at cars, Toyota builds cars that have more US made parts than any other make.

Bob

Well I checked my Huot set and found that the fractional bits were made in the USA, but the numbered and lettered only indicated that they were HS. So I don't know where they were made

I don't know where Irwin tools are made now,but in my opinion,I wouldn't buy them now. I DO have a real nice NOS set of Irwin drill bits that were made years ago. I also personally don't care for Vermont taps,commonly sold in local hardware stores. They are all carbon as far as I know.

Carbon is o.k. for occasional use. Some even like them as they are easier to get out of you break one off in a hole. I have no trouble milling out HSS taps with a carbide end mill,though. If you use alum,carbon is easier to dissolve.

I get some Irwin Drills from Matco George. The package is marked Made in China.

"Billy G"

Back