Precision Matthews PM-728VT CNC conversion

They don’t appear anywhere on the drawing but they definitely exist.

3194731e4782929c15bcb39de1155c05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: I removed the Z axis to check out the bearing assembly, it does appear that there is a threaded area where the grease fitting will go, but there’s a set screw That came installed with the bearing assembly.

2a622d35ec9b022d89cdf8bac4f3dff7.jpg

3613fce9810902fda9bda8b5976df3bf.jpg

Mine looked different. I might have an earlier version and don’t recall adding the zerks. Also don’t think they were preinstalled. Finally I don’t think you can access them once installed. For example, neither the z- nor the y-axis double nuts are accessible once installed. The x-axis nut is accessible if removing the motor and the opposite end connection. Lots of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Mine looked different. I might have an earlier version and don’t recall adding the zerks. Also don’t think they were preinstalled. Finally I don’t think you can access them once installed. For example, neither the z- nor the y-axis double nuts are accessible once installed. The x-axis nut is accessible if removing the motor and the opposite end connection. Lots of work.

I think you could get to the Z axis through the side cover plate assuming you run the head all the way up, but the other two wouldn’t indeed be a pain in the ass. Maybe it’s just for initial greasing, but you’d think they’d give you better instructions.

Anyway, I place the order for the motors and controller hardware today, hopefully I have something to play with next weekend.

[TR]
[TD]C86ACCP board[/TD]

[TD]Priest Drawbar PM 728 VT[/TD]

I do NOT recommend the PM 0-10V spindle control board. I have it and it does not allow fine tuning. Get instead a KBSI-240D Signal Isolation Board 115/230v-ac 0-10v-dc.

Questions on these.

1. I just noticed you have an extra board specifically for the clearpaths. Does this just simplify integration?

2. Did you do the priest drawbar or drawbar max? Having watched a number of YouTube videos where people have these, it’ll no doubt be the first upgrade.

3. The eBay link to the speed controller you like seems broken.

Questions on these.

1. I just noticed you have an extra board specifically for the clearpaths. Does this just simplify integration?

2. Did you do the priest drawbar or drawbar max? Having watched a number of YouTube videos where people have these, it’ll no doubt be the first upgrade.

3. The eBay link to the speed controller you like seems broken.

#1 Yes the C86ACCP is important. The minor reason is that you can plug the Clearpath molex connectors easily. The main reason is that the C86ACCP mediates important functions of hardware control and e-stop/ OK signaling. Fellow Phoenician Marty (@martyscncgarage on Youtube) has what I regard as the definitive video showing the wiring of the C86ACCP for the Clearpath. I used it and will look for it if you want.

#2 The plain PDB is sufficient.

#3 Sorry might point to the item I bought. Just search eBay for KBSI 240D signal isolator.

Just talked to PM, guy was as confused as me. I did remove the set screw, installed the zerk and ran some grease in one. Not sure if I’ll leave the zerk in for reassembly or put the set screw back in since they aren’t exactly accessible. I just can’t tell if that set screw holds anything.

#1 Yes the C86ACCP is important. The minor reason is that you can plug the Clearpath molex connectors easily. The main reason is that the C86ACCP mediates important functions of hardware control and e-stop/ OK signaling. Fellow Phoenician Marty (@martyscncgarage on Youtube) has what I regard as the definitive video showing the wiring of the C86ACCP for the Clearpath. I used it and will look for it if you want.

I just checked out some of Marty’s videos, looks like a logical upgrade. I’m back to waffling between the acorn and that Masso. I’ll be traveling for a few days so plenty of time to research.

#2 The plain PDB is sufficient.

I might’ve missed this in an earlier post, which quick change collets did you go with? I was looking at the Tormach but there seem to be two types: set screw and the ER20 style.

Last edited:
I have both. The set screw works for endmills, but ER20 is needed for drills and touch off probe.

Back