Precision Matthews Micrometer Stop for G4003G

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone using a Precision Matthews micrometer stop (meant for their PM1236, 1340, and 1440 lathes) on a G4003G? Was wondering if it'll fit. I have an email out to PM to see if they'd happen to know. Thanks.

The title says G4003G, and the first sentence. :)

Well gents, I got word back from PM that their micrometer stop will not fit the G4003G. OK. My shop made one broke. Guess I clamped it down too much and the 6061 split. Time to make another one.

You might try to make it out of 7075 if using aluminum. Different designs, see attached document for the design that I have used and seems to work well. I adjust the dimensions based on the way that it sits on.

Attachments

• PM-1236, 1340GT and 1440GT Micrometer Stop Diagram revised.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
I always used a DI with magnetic base and set the carriage advance to 0-on-the-dial.

If anything goes wrong, the DI just gets pushed by the carriage.

That's a beautiful stop there, Mark, and thank you for the plans. Funny you mention 7075 as I found a nice piece today I will use.

Mitch, I've used my Noga holder to set the indicator. But then my OCD kicks in and I spend more time ensuring it's parallel to the ways, the moon isn't full, and the neighbor's kid's not working on his car with the loud as heck muffler. :rolleyes: :bang head:

Mitch, I've used my Noga holder to set the indicator. But then my OCD kicks in and I spend more time ensuring it's parallel to the ways,

When you are only looking for 0 the plunger does not HAVE to be parallel.
It only HAS to be parallel when you are using the thing as a measurement device.
As a Nulling device parallel-ness s unnecessary (good but unnecessary).
So I use the lines on the ways of the lathe to visually get it parallel and then don't worry about it any longer.

Back