Precision Matthews 1340-GT Lathe

Ray, so on the 1236 is the gearbox different than the 1340GT. The 1340GT is the same style as our JET 1336 at work and I find it very user friendly which is one of the draws to the 1340GT, but the main reason was that it was Taiwanese and Matt told me that if I were to compare the that one with one of the Chinese lathes side by side is where I would really see the difference.

To be honest I have done very little threading on the JET lathe at work simply because I haven't ran across the need to in the workplace much and almost none on my Smithy that I had before because the Smithy was such a pain to change out gears for each thread pitch. I thought with this 1340GT maybe I would start doing more threading as I have had more of a need to do so at home on various projects than at work.

Mike.

The top-side gearboxes are similar styles consisting of flat-tooth gears with 14[SUP]o[/SUP] pressure angles for high power transmission. The ratios are not the same but the overall style is similar. The bottom gearbox is quite different. The 1236 has manual change gears for all threads (US or metric) whereas the 1340 just requires flipping some paddle positions for US threads and a gear changeover position for metric. It's also much more convenient to change the IPR settings. Finally, the Taiwanese units have nicer fit & finish and overall higher attention to detail.

Ray

Great, thanks for the info Ray.

Mike.

The top-side gearboxes are similar styles consisting of flat-tooth gears with 14[SUP]o[/SUP] pressure angles for high power transmission. The ratios are not the same but the overall style is similar. The bottom gearbox is quite different. The 1236 has manual change gears for all threads (US or metric) whereas the 1340 just requires flipping some paddle positions for US threads and a gear changeover position for metric. It's also much more convenient to change the IPR settings. Finally, the Taiwanese units have nicer fit & finish and overall higher attention to detail.

Ray

Late at posting here. I own a PM1340 and have used it for years. Matt is really professional and aside from never having received a screw that failed on the GIB (warranty) never had a problem. I still use the lathe and it is accurate. You can always trust Matt to get to you as soon as he can.

I hope your new lathe is working out.

Jon

No personal experience yet but I hope to have mine in a few weeks. I have heard nothing but good about this lathe and I like the fact that it is made in Taiwan vs. China which is the main reason I jumped at when I ordered mine about six weeks ago.

I will do a full review with a lot of pictures once I get mine.

I also ordered the Taiwanese 935TV milling machine from Matt as well.

Mike.

HEY MIKE, I posted a comment on your youtube video about the PM1340GT, please check it out. Thanks!!!
- RIO

Saw that. Thank you for the compliment. If I can be of any further assistance feel free to ask. When you order tell Matt that Mike Zuech's video helped you make your decision. I would appreciate that.

I see that you just joined here also. Welcome.

Also, in addition to my youtube video review, I also have a thread on here showing the setup, some of the mods I did to mine and a written review it will be of any help.

Here is a link.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-precision-mathews-pm1340gt-arrival.24887/

Mike.

Back