Precision Matthews 1340 control panel light relocation

1silica

Registered
Registered
I want to relocate the indicator light from it's factory position but am stumped by how it's installed.
I thought the raised lip on the front side was a locking or snap ring, no luck, it's molded in place

I can't figure out how to pry the backside apart either. I don't want to get too aggressive and bust the darn thing. Below are pics of the front and backside of said light. If I can move this light the control panel for the VFD will fit nicely. Perhaps you have a better place for the VFD control. I'd love to see a pic of where you placed your VFD control. Any help for this newbie would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1340 light front side.jpg
    1340 light front side.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 143
  • 1340 light back side.jpg
    1340 light back side.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 132
  • 1340 VFD control location.jpg
    1340 VFD control location.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 155
Is it threaded? the ring may unscrew

It may be a bayonet type were you loosen the back screws and then push in and twist the front to unlock, the previous ones just had a threaded plastic washer on the back. Separate to that, mounting a VFD control panel to control the VFD/run commands is a bad idea on a lathe because you cannot respond fast enough and you will be fumbling for the controls. Better to rewire the For/Rev contactors to switch the VFD inputs that control the run direction. That way all the controls work normally on the machine as if it was wired for 3 phase.

Did you get your answer to the question on how to remove the light, if not I have mine off and in a box in the shop which I can go look in the AM if you need.

BTW Mark Jacobs is our resident guru on VFD's so you may want to hit him up for options on how you can add the VFD system you have planned.

I used Marks design and wiring diagrams to install a Hitachi VFD and and it works flawlessly, as have many others on this forum.

David.

I destroyed mine getting them loose as I had replacements, but I think there were tabs, you had to release from the backside in order for them to be able to be separated.

Back