Precision Mathews Order Changed

zmotorsports

Registered
Registered
Well, I had originally ordered a PM1340GT lathe and the PM-932PDF mill/drill about a month ago, however, after much turmoil, debating with myself, consulting with my wife and stressing over this decision I changed my order with Matt from Precision Mathews this morning.

I talked to him last week about the 935TV milling machine and after getting a quote from him for the difference this morning I decided to pull the trigger and get the 935TV rather than the 932PDF. Size wise it is a little larger but nowhere near the size of a full-size Bridgeport which I definitely do not have room for so I think I can squeeze it into the same place I was going to put the 932.

I want this to be the last lathe and mill that I need to purchase which is why I went with the Taiwanese 1340GT from the get-go. However, the 932 was constantly in the back of my mind as "possibly" being less than I envisioned when it showed up.

I think the 2/3 size BP with the 9"x35" table will be a very nice addition to my shop and should be the quality of what I have been looking for in a mill to go along with the Taiwanese lathe. I have read several reports that this 935 mill is way nicer than the Jet and every bit as nice as the Sharp mill.

I have a co-worker who purchased an older Jet JVM-836 mill and in all honesty I think it is a pretty nice mill so I will be ecstatic if this is truely nicer than the Jet.

Mike.

Nice. I like that combination and think they (mill and lathe) will compliment each other rather well.

Bill

Thanks guys. I am really getting excited. Moreso now that I have decided on the 2/3 BP size machine. I was so against the size at first but my gut was telling me that I may not be entirely happy with the benchtop over the long term. I am told the 935 is going to be about the same width as the 932 was going to be and only about 8" deeper, so I think I can move a couple of things to accommodate that extra eight inches.

Awesome! Are you still expecting a May delivery?

Dave

I am waiting confirmation. When I asked Matt on Friday he said the mill was expected within about a week or so of the 1340GT lathes' arrival. I figured I had waited this long what is another week.

I emailed him back to get a timeline on when to expect delivery but I have not gotten a response yet.

Mike.

I had a small job supposed to come into the shop for the weekend but the guy called Thursday night and had to postpone, so rather than waste a weekend I thought I would finish getting the shop ready for the new equipment.

I had purchased a 10"x12"x8" NEMA 1 enclosure in which the VFD for the 1340GT lathe will reside in. I also picked up a fuse block and a double pole/single throw 30A switch for the setup. I cut a small rectangular hole in the front of the NEMA 1 enclosure to allow the switch to protrude out. This way I will have the ability to kill the power going to the VFD from the small switch over the lathe. I also picked up some 3/4" sealtite to run from the NEMA enclosure to the lathe for the wiring to be hidden/protected it. I ran 3/4" EMT from the NEMA enclosure back to my electrical panel. The EMT ran up the wall and just under the mezzanine/shelf in the shop for a clean and tidy appearance. I had also wanted an air drop next to my 12'x20' roll-up door for quite some time now so while I had the ladder and some scaffolding that I had borrowed from a friend, I thought I would get the air drop that I have always wanted.

Here is the NEMA enclosure with the fuse block and the backside of the switch.
ta0jrb.jpg

NEMA enclosure and 3/4" EMT ran up alongside the 1/2" copper air line and towards the rear of the shop.
29ordcn.jpg

While I had the scaffolding/ladder setup I decided to drop the 220-volt down to where I am going to place the new 935TV mill.
3480imv.jpg

While I was pulling the 220-volt electrical overhead I decided to drop a 115-volt line to a four-way electrical box to be able to plug in my task light, DRO and power X-axis accessories. I hate cords runnign across the floor so this will cure that issue.
2814p06.jpg

I attached a fairly good sized lag-eye bolt into one of my trusses to attach a strain relief to keep the weight of the cords, plugs and boxes from pulling on the electrical and gave the SO cord a nice loop at the top.

Mike.

I think that is a great choice, I've been eying that same machine but it has to wait until the wallet recovers from the recent lathe purchase. Looking forward to your impressions of it.

I will definitely post a complete review of both machines and overall impressions once I receive them and get them set up, along with a lot of pictures I am sure.

Mike.

Nice. Congratulations Mike.

<O:p</O:p
I am looking forward to the pictures.
<O:p</O:p
Radek

Bigger has to be better huh!? Doubt you will ever regret stepping up in size on the mill. Sounds like the fit and finish on the 9x35 is quite the cats meow as well.. Read some great posts on the 13x40gt as well... But all this will be bad for buisness because you'll only want to play with your new toys! Hehehe. Have fun amigo and enjoy your new machines...

Back