Precision ground flat stock

Dimestackwelding

Registered
Registered
So yesterday I picked up a load of aluminum and “precision ground flat stock” from an estate sale. I looked up a couple of the part numbers on the bags and it looks very expensive.

My question to the forum: what is this kind of material used for? Is there a market for it for a hobbyist machinist?

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    580.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0237.jpeg
    IMG_0237.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0238.png
    IMG_0238.png
    421.6 KB · Views: 66
wowser, I'll assume you paid less than that price for the whole lot?
It can be used for anything that the stock fits, but in real terms, and the price, it was for some high spec/ high requirement purposes.

wowser, I'll assume you paid less than that price for the whole lot?
It can be used for anything that the stock fits, but in real terms, and the price, it was for some high spec/ high requirement purposes.
I paid about $730 usd for the whole lot. I’m just trying to figure out how to sell the flat stock. I’m going to go through and inventory it all (some bags got ripped and there’s rust on the material) and then post it on marketplace. Do you think I should post it up on eBay too? Would it be worth shipping something this heavy?

It's handy for fixtures and smooth steel vise jaws.

Grainger ($212, 24" x 4" x 1" ± 0.001" thickness), McMaster ($180, ±0.003") & MSC ($256, ± 0.001") would be places to look for pricing guides): just because it's Starrett doesn't mean anyone would pay Starrett prices for some they can get elsewhere for half the cost.

I picked up some from eBay a few years ago because it was cheaper than plain CRS and it would save time machining the width & thickness for a particular project. I also picked up some from MSC since A) they had at at the local depot, B) price was similar to what I got off eBay and C) was the size I wanted.

For current comparison, the Seller I purchased from 3 years ago on eBay has 24x1x1/8 for $13.63 (free shipping) and MSC wants $26.17 (+ shipping). What I bought surplus on eBay had MSC stickers. However, MSC has 24x1x3/32 for $24.40 (free shipping) on eBay, and wants $27.31 (+ shipping) on their website. Bottom line, you're looking at probably 1/4 — 1/3 of the lowest industrial source price you find online to sell it yourself.

Last edited:
It's handy for fixtures and smooth steel vise jaws.

Grainger ($212, 24" x 4" x 1" ± 0.001" thickness), McMaster ($180, ±0.003") & MSC ($256, ± 0.001") would be places to look for pricing guides): just because it's Starrett doesn't mean anyone would pay Starrett prices for some they can get elsewhere for half the cost.

I picked up some from eBay a few years ago because it was cheaper than plain CRS and it would save time machining the width & thickness for a particular project. I also picked up some from MSC since A) they had at at the local depot, B) price was similar to what I got off eBay and C) was the size I wanted.

For current comparison, the Seller I purchased from 3 years ago on eBay has 24x1x1/8 for $13.63 (free shipping) and MSC wants $26.17 (+ shipping). What I bought surplus on eBay had MSC stickers. However, MSC has 24x1x3/32 for $24.40 (fee shipping) on eBay, and wants $27.31 (+ shipping) on their website. Bottom line, you're looking at probably 1/4 — 1/3 of the lowest industrial source price you find online to sell it yourself.
Okay cool thank you for that info

I paid about $730 usd for the whole lot. I’m just trying to figure out how to sell the flat stock. I’m going to go through and inventory it all (some bags got ripped and there’s rust on the material) and then post it on marketplace. Do you think I should post it up on eBay too? Would it be worth shipping something this heavy?
you got a great buy. I would think you should do both. I also think you got a great deal, but can you make good on the sales.
I would also hit up some machine shops locally. You only need a few sales at 25%- 50% of retail to make your money back, and then your home free.

One more thing, a lot of times machine shops need certificates so they may not be willing to spend that much on that stock

i added it all up, 72 pieces in total worth approximately $7700 usd according to Scarretts online pricing. Not saying I will get anything near that, but even if i can get 10% of new price i will still break even. not counting the other materials. :cool:

Back