Pratt & Whitney #3 benchtop miller

Aaron David

Registered
Registered
As shown in the "what did you buy today" thread, I picked up this '30s-'40s benchtop mill. Made by the estimable Pratt and Whitney, famed for their precision tooling, I was lucky in being the first to answer an ad for one not too far away, and not too high a price. Ad said to bring cash, and as I had just sold my Craftsman 6" lathe, I was flush. The deal was done, and today I finally got it out of the back of my truck and into my garage/dumping ground.

It is basically complete, with the exception of the knee crank handle (I am using a square socket on a breaker bar right now), but didn't come with much in the way of accessories, something else these mills were famous for. There is most of a dividing head along with the indexing quill. Sadly, no tailstock for the later, no vise and definitely no collets, let alone the vertical head. So I have my work cut out for me tracking all of that down. But, at the price I paid I am not too surprised. I forgot to take pictures of those things that came with it, tomorrow I will put one up.

Under a layer of bad green pain, along with rust on all of the bare metal surfaces, this machine is in great shape! All screws work, everything is free, albeit stiff, and the quality is as good as everyone says. Things are pinned and screwed, mating surfaces are tight, everything is well thought out. I would guess that it originally ran off of a line shaft, or, over on Lathes.UK, there is shown a pully arrangement that looks rather complicated. In any case, I am going to keep my eyes open for an Atlas or SB counter shaft arrangement to power it, probably off of a 1/2hp motor. But first I need to disassemble it to get it down to the basement shop, after I clean up (i.e. get rid of) that green paint, and change it to '30s machinery grey. But, a question for any others who have one, or its newer cousin the 3C: is arbor removal done in a normal way, and I mainly need to block up the spindle and free the collet bar? Or is there some special trick?

Second question: does anyone know of a good source of flat belt step pulleys? Every picture I have seen of one is set up that way, and I would, if possible, like to go back to that. I could machine some out of billet, but that might be pricey, and I want to know what is out there.

I was getting ready to put a Barker Mill in my shop, which would be converted to dial feeds, but this is superior in every way, and it was a fluke that I was able to get it. so I am going to run with it, but I am still not sure what I will do with the Barker. The collets that came with it, along with the 3/4hp instant reverse motor, more than cover what I spent, so I am not out of pocket, in my head at least, and I have done all the Tetras that I need to stuff this in my little shop, so I guess I am half way there already.

Thanks in advance!

Nice score, looking forward to your progress on this little guy. Every time I think of selling my Hardinge I see d
something like this and I just know I’d be sorry if I did.

john

Can’t visualize what I am looking at. Need to find a photo to see it. Is this a horizontal milling machine?

View attachment 483656
Yes, horizontal mill, about 30" high with overarm. In the picture above, the big hole in the top is for arbors/collets, while the round thing in the back is the wood handled drawbar.

EDIT: right now my table is raised most of the way up as to make it easier to grip and rig as I move it around. That might be stopping your visualization. Also, my I have a v-belt pulley as opposed to the flat belt pulley right now.

Have you considered driving the existing V-pulley with matching one? The drive pulley could be mounted on a DC motor with speed control, or a 3 phase motor using a VFD, or even on a jackshaft driven by such a motor driving another set of step pulleys.

Have you considered driving the existing V-pulley with matching one? The drive pulley could be mounted on a DC motor with speed control, or a 3 phase motor using a VFD, or even on a jackshaft driven by such a motor driving another set of step pulleys.
I have thought of that, but as the rest of my shop is old school, I think I am gonna keep it that way.

Was able to squeeze in some time to work on this today.

I was able to get the over arm off, which, considering the oxidation on it added .001 at least to the diameter, it was a bit of a chore. Lots of penetrating oil, my soft face persuader, and a couple light wedges to relieve the clearance, and out it came.

Now I am working on getting the table off, followed by the y axis. This is going slow (no pics yet) as I have no parts diagram and keep running into "no, that isn't the way" issues. But, it was put together, so it can be taken apart. I did get the arbor off, and I am also slowly feeling my way into getting the spindle out. I hope to have it all disassembled by the time spring really hits, as I can then paint. I am also slowly figuring out how it will work best in my shop layout, so, I got that going for me, which is nice.

Also, I was given this tray of stuff to go with the mill, and the seller wasn't sure if any of it was from the mill, but he was given it when he bought it, and so he passed it on:

I don't think any of that goes with the mill, but if anyone has any idea's or interest in this, let me know.

Back