Pratt Burnerd collets and closer for Chipmaster - finally!!

samthedog

Token Aussie
Registered
I have been on the look out for a set of collets and a collet closer for my Colchester Chippie for a while now. Last night I had 2 friends contact me within minutes of each other telling me a closer and collets had come up for sale only 45 minutes away from me for $320 USD. I rang the chap selling immediately and told him I would take them and despite the "or best offer" in his ad, I said I would take them for full price - no negotiation necessary if he would hold them for me. They looked to be in great condition:

WP_20150201_003.jpg

Now you might think I am a bit silly to offer the maximum right away however these collets are a little different to most. The closest collet available to the PB collets would be the Jacobs Rubber Flex, however these are less reliable than the PB as they can become seperated between the jaws and rubber compression pads.
The PB variant does not have this problem:

WP_20150201_008.jpg

Rather than relying on rubber, the PB collets have springs to open the collet jaws. Another advantage of these collets is the wide operating range for a single collet. With only 12 collets, a range of 1.6mm to 38.1mm is covered:

WP_20150201_004.jpgWP_20150201_005.jpg

The other impressive feature of these collets is that they allow the material to pass right through the collet unrestricted, all the way up to 38.1mm - which happens to be the Chipmaster's spindle bore diameter :))

WP_20150201_009.jpg

This leads me to believe that this collet set and closer was designed with the Colchester Chipmaster in mind as even the closer's handle knob is the same colour as handles found on the Chippie:

WP_20150201_006.jpgWP_20150201_007.jpg

As the closer is D1-3, it marries with the Chippies spindle and takes a whole minute and a half to attach.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. They show no signs of rust, no signs of wear and for tooling made in 1966 or earlier (it was an extra accessorie following a Chippie made in 66) it is made with that old school quality mindset.

Paul.

WP_20150201_008.jpg WP_20150201_004.jpg WP_20150201_005.jpg WP_20150201_006.jpg WP_20150201_007.jpg WP_20150201_009.jpg WP_20150201_003.jpg

Cheers gents. The only thing missing now is the taper turning attachment. Personally I think the collets and closer are more important so I was thrilled when I got them for such a good price.

To think I nearly sold off my machine a few months ago. Absolute foolishness. With the combination of HP, speed, features and accuracy - the Chippie is one of the best specced small machines for the serious hobbyist or professional needing a small industrial lathe. I'm glad I woke up to myself.

Paul.

That is a terrific setup. Would have been a good bargain at twice the price. Congrats Paul.

Darrell

That is a terrific setup. Would have been a good bargain at twice the price. Congrats Paul.

Darrell

Thanks Darrell, I figured I got a great deal which is why I didn't bother haggling at all. I figured you guys might find this type of collet interesting as these sets are not often seen complete and in such good shape. In the pictures of the complete set, there are 2 numbers, the first is the minimum OD in mm and the second is the maximum for the specific collet.

I am not sure how often I'll use them but there is something about getting a machine and completing the collection with all the various accessories :))

Paul.

Hi Paul. Congratulations on a great buy - you got a better deal than I did. I have the same collets, but a KC-15 chuck with a key.
Yours is an LC-15 chuck. Made for Chippie (fits Bantam also, of course). AFAIR, the Chippie have 35.5 mm spindle bore.
I still need both a change gear set (made of unobtanium) and the taper turning attachment. Oh yes, and a tangential toolholder.
See you again this summer. I've been away from here a lot - I'm starting on my old dream: Building a gyroplane.
I disassembled my 25+ years old never used Rotax 503 engine - and it was still as new inside. Only rust was on the gears in the gearbox and some screws.

Cheers
Erik

I think you were very smart to move quickly on this and not try to haggle. It's a really nice set of tooling, and complete. It even has that nifty sheet metal case for the collets. Plus it already had the correct spindle mount (D1-3"). And did the bed clamp fit without modification? It looks like it was made to fit your lathe.

I have this same collet set for my 10EE and like them a lot.
David

Yes, it would've a bargain at twice the price. Which leads me to screamin': You Suck! (big compliment).

The set looks new. At least hardly used. You were very smart not to haggle and just say gotcha.

Cheers
Erik

Hi Paul. Congratulations on a great buy - you got a better deal than I did. I have the same collets, but a KC-15 chuck with a key.
Yours is an LC-15 chuck. Made for Chippie (fits Bantam also, of course). AFAIR, the Chippie have 35.5 mm spindle bore.
I still need both a change gear set (made of unobtanium) and the taper turning attachment. Oh yes, and a tangential toolholder.
See you again this summer. I've been away from here a lot - I'm starting on my old dream: Building a gyroplane.
I disassembled my 25+ years old never used Rotax 503 engine - and it was still as new inside. Only rust was on the gears in the gearbox and some screws.

Cheers
Erik

Hi RCflier...

I am in the middle of restoring a (flyable by a human) gyrocopter... powered by a Subaru engine.
Would be interested to hear what you are planning to build...

John

Back