Pratt-burnerd 6-jaw, Did I Do Ok, Or Not?

marcusp323

Active User
Registered
Picked this up off ebay for $249 shipped. Had been advertised as having a D1 mount. Was glad to find out it was a D1-4 & fit my P-M 1340GT. So far, so good. Was stiff as can be when I got it today, looked like it hadn't been used in a while. Figured I'd take it apart & clean it up, regrease it & put it back together. All looked well (though it was a bit dry & the grease was hard) until I looked at jaw #5. Missing a couple teeth :( up front.
Not sure whether it would be worth replacing the set or not, or whether it's really OK as is. No plans to use it for anything of large diameter, so should still have plenty of grip. Any opinions one way or another?
Mark

DSC_2624_zpsmahskhol.jpg
DSC_2625_zpsxy5kl8ne.jpg
DSC_2627_zpsjgiehyyh.jpg
DSC_2628_zpshsy2odcq.jpg
DSC_2629_zpsipdwnrvf.jpg
DSC_2631_zps61kg5oly.jpg

Looks like an assembly which you can dial in to center.
Jaws appear in good condition.
Pratt Burnerd is supposed to be phenomenal!
This is a great value. And if you have need for a 6jaw this is a great find.
Sometimes wish I had one!!

Daryl
MN

Did you check the run-out and repeatability of the chuck? Often there can be some wear in these older chucks which can be an issue, also check it with different size stocks. My understanding is that the chuck jaws are ground in place as a set and are specific to the position (number) of the jaw. You may need to purchase the jaws as a set and regrind them, which would probably be very costly. Another machinist I know had a wear/repeatability issue with the scroll/jaws on a used 6J chuck that he got used. I would probably leave it be, but check the largest diameter that can be held in the chuck and have at least two teeth held by the scroll on the broken jaw.

Hadn't even mounted it yet when I took the pics. Cleaned up really well though. Smoother than any other chuck I have too. Will have to check concentricity when I get the chance later today. It's a Set-Rite, so runout is probably easy to dial in.
Mark

Back