[Newbie] Power scraping a 24" straight edge

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I started learning how to scrape machine ways earlier this year. Still learning. I hand scraped a prism straight edge this summer, and it gave me tennis elbow. I have another straight edge I wanted to scrape, but switched it up and used a borrowed Biax power scraper.

One thing that you can do to tame the speed of the scraper down is to get an autotransformer to plug it into, you can then adjust the speed to any level that is comfortable, I had a scraper just the same as you are using, and that is what I did and it worked well; subsequently, I was given a near new Biax with built in adjustable speed from the estate of an old friend, and I sold the older one to a friend.
I note that one thing that you are doing that is bad practice is to start scraping from the near edge of the straightedge; this invites catching and gouging the edge, you should be scraping off that edge so that it does not catch and gouge, you just need to attack from both sides of the part., and running a long stroke just makes it worse so far as catching is concerned.

I've attended several of Rich's classes. The first day is spent learning to use a hand scraper, and the rest of the time the class uses borrowed Biax power scrapers. EVERY time, without fail, the students all mention with wide-eyed amazement how much easier it is to get consistent results, and how much less effort the power scraper requires.

It's a shame new ones are so expensive. Even used ones are going for a pretty penny these days.

Back