Power Kill Switch Mounted to Lathe

TX COWDOC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Recently bought a PM1236. I have a dedicated 2 pole 20Amp breaker roughed in (not finished). I would like to mount my power kill switch directly to the front / side of the lathe. This would be preferred / safer (?) than having to reach across the machine to the wall to unplug or flip a switch tied to the plug to kill power to the machine. I searched the forum and did not see this discussed.

I plan to run the plug cord to the switch and then on to the lathe. Any guidance is appreciated.

Nothing wrong with that, I guess, just a disconnect switch before the lathe's on/off switch? In a way, it would seem redundant, already having the breaker ,and the machine's own switch; my own lathe is hard wired to a remote fused disconnect fed by a RPC, the lathe is started by a rotary reversing 2 speed switch, never had a problem with it.

I have mounted an "emergency stop/power-off" mushroom button switch just outboard of the tailstock of my lathe. I don't KNOW that it will ever be necessary, but figured that if anything bad happens near the headstock, I have a way to kill power from a safe place. The breaker box is a bit far away (actually outside the front doo of my shop) to reach in a hurry. PS - my lathe is driven by a 3 phase motor fed by a 230 volt VFD. The e-stop interrupts the incoming 230AC.

Back