power feed progress

OlCatBob

Active User
Registered
I've been trying to get a power feed for my old Nichols milling machine, couldn't really find anything that would fit. I had ran across a Hyundai window winder motor (maybe seat motor?) at the scrap yard some time back and thought it might work for me. My mill only has one crank, it's on the left end, the right end of the screw stubs into an adjustment for end play. I decided that I would have to use the crank end to drive from, so this is what i came up with.
I am driving a pulley directly behind the crank handle (it was a narrow knurled area) with a 4" pulley I cut the center out of. I am gluing an inside out cog belt into the inner drive area of the pulley so that there is no slippage. I will slot the motor mounting plate (1/4" aluminum) so that I can slide the plate fore and aft to tighten the belt. To use the crank handle I would have to disengage the belt anyway.
I bought one of those 10v-30v PWM's that was suggested by someone here (thank you, for $7, can't beat that. For power, I will use an old 12v batteery charger I have had for 40 years or so.
I am posting a few photos so you can see what it really looks like.
Bob

pf2.JPG pf3.JPG pf4.JPG pf5.JPG

Nice. I have considered something like this. No problems stalling the belt?

Chuck,

I really don't know as yet; I've just gotten it all mocked up. I really think that the motor is powerful enough that it won't be an issue. I will post more as I make progress.
Bob

Back