Power draw bar

akjeff

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Decided to give the Lagun some love, and treated it with a power draw bar. Gave Debbi at H&W a call, and a few days later it's here! Pretty straightforward install, with just a slight hitch common to Lagun's. In the photos you'll see that there is a bushing that stands proud of the top surface of the bearing cap. I talked to Bill at Torque Rite, and he said he actually offers a model with a counterbored base plate to account for this, but most vendors just carry the plain base plate, and then ship it with the appropriate draw bar, as was mine. As it turns out, I'm glad it worked out that way, as I'd prefer to adjust the height of the power head, as opposed to altering the hardened thrust washer/bushing. While it's a bit on the loud side, and requires shop air to be on, I'm extremely happy with it,

In this photo, you can see the bushing that stands proud of the bearing cap, and also the shoulder below the drawbar splines needs to be .050" below the surface of the bearing cap. In my case, it was .275" above it, so I made an .325" aluminum spacer to correct this.
IMG_8539.JPG

This is the .325" thick spacer, that's counterbored on the bottom to account for the protruding bushing, with holes clearance drilled for the M6 cap screws. In the case of this Lagun FTV-1 it's 120mm in diameter, and the bolt circle is at a diameter of 105mm. The center hole is 26mm, with a 35mm x 1.5mm counterbore.
IMG_8540.JPG

A quick check for proper fit and all is good. Bolt holes line up, and the shoulder of the drawbar is now .050" below the mounting surface.
IMG_8541.JPG

As it turned out, the outer diameter of the power head, and the cap screw heads were such that it pretty much centered itself. Not even enough room for a lock washer, so I used blue thread locker.
tempImageDwaUnG.jpg

Mounted the control valve off the power down feed rate cover screws, and the regulator/filter on the ram, ran the air lines, and filled the oil reservoir. Works great!
IMG_8544.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Jon. Bill is a freaking awesome dude! The power DB is so nice. Fast, and no more having a $50 end mill fall out of the collet and chip when you crack the draw bar loose, because you don't have a third hand! And speaking of awesome, so are you folks at H&W. It's a pleasure doing business with you guys. Just little things like your willingness to send things to Alaska via USPS makes all the difference in the world. You wouldn't believe how many vendors tell me "we only ship UPS/FedEx". Well, their rates up here are double, triple, sometime quadruple the USPS rate. Anyway, thanks for doing what you do. The power knee feed is due to arrive from you guys today, and the Lagun will be complete. Had to go with the Dynamo line. As much as I'd love to have a USA made Servo, their pricing has gotten totally out of sight.

Thanks man! And your welcome. I think right now it isnt even the cost, but the 3-6 week backorder is just freaking killer. I would also have recommended you look at Align power feeds, imports as well but I think they are quite more robust than the Dynamos.

I see alot of shipping issues to remote places like Montana and Wyoming too, where sending something UPS costs as much as a 2x4 at the lumber yard nowadays lol

Once its all together, hopefully you post your mill!

Jon

I did look at the Align's, but I thought that maybe there'd be more long term parts support with the Dynamo? Hopefully it'll hold up OK. It's a home shop, so it won't be used daily.

I love living up here, but being at the end of the supply chain sucks!

USPS tracking shows the knee feed as out for delivery, so I should have it late this afternoon! Will post up a shot when it's all together.

The knee feed arrived late in the day, and we had made a batch of margaritas by then. So, no touching the machinery for me! Looks to be nicely made, and I really appreciate that they included a small hand wheel to replace the crank. I was expecting to have to fab up one for making small corrections after roughing it in under power. A pleasant surprise! Hope to get to it tomorrow.

I would have to say the Align's are more supported after manufacturing than Dynamo's. Not saying the Dynamo isnt supported, it just isnt as friendly as the Align.

I didnt get to have anything last night, as my mom is coming into town for a month and a half starting tomorrow so we had last minute tidying up to do. And I found out that I need to have a bunch of stuff made by Friday evening so its gonna be a busy week after work.

Is that the plastic round handle that comes with the Dynamo?

Jon

Thanks for the support info on the power feeds. Hopefully, I won't need any for a long time!

Yes, it's an Italian made plastic hand wheel. Looks to be fairly well made.

Enjoy the mom time!

Back