PowCon 300 SS Welder Gloat

i took a picture of the front of the unit for posterity...

PowCon300SS3.JPG
the remote amperage control wire plugs in on the port across from the power cord, the on/off switch is above the power cord. the welding leads are plugged into the ports in the bottom of the unit, reversing the DC polarity is accomplished by reversing leads.

thanks for looking!

PowCon300SS3.JPG

Whats the base weight on it? I thought they had a really good weight to available power range too. They are like 50 Lbs for the 300's or something like that, right?

Bob

Yes Bob,
they are feather light 50 lbs would be about right!
the inverter is well protected in a heavy duty fiberglass enclosure.
iv'e seen them get kicked around and beaten up, they are sturdy workhorses.:))

Inverter technology has come so far since they first started building welders that way. The Powcons are very robust and well engineered. And do a great job stick and scratch tig welding on steel. The DC+/- capability is a great thing to have when you need the change. Dense plugs are great too. I had a friend who had about 300 feet of stinger cable and could just keep adding 50 foot sections till he reached the weld. Made putting it away much easier too, coil up a section and hang it on the peg, move to the next... Too easy and too neat. That was a great price on the power supply too. Check out a local electrical supply or local airgas dealer. Trying to ship a bunch of heavy cable isn't going to be cheap and any money you save on good pricing will get eaten up on freight. Cyberweld or Welding supplies at Indiana Oxygen are both internet suppliers and may have a cheaper freight program that might help too. Good luck and have fun with the new machine..

Bob

The reason i had the polarity question was a few year back a company i was welding for had a bunch of older lincoln inverters which had kind of a weird setup. They had a regular tweco female for the positive lead and a ground lead with clamp connected to a terminal bolt on the back side of the inverter.

We were running lincoln 5/64 nr-305 (dc+) out of LN-25 feeders for the in position welds and 5/64 nr-212 (dc-) for the out of position work. So to run the straight polarity i rigged the lead off the back of the feeder and the ground into the port. It just plain would not weld straight it was a dedicated reverse polarity unit.

We had 350 and 450 miller inverters and of they run - or + so we just adjusted the job was really spread out so it was a pain. I felt like a fool cause i said don't worry we will just rig them to run dc+. I just wonder if anyone has run into the units i never quite understood why what i did failed other than they were clearly set up dc+ by lincoln and if they were meant to be use dc- then they would have had both + and - ports on the front.

the job was pretty cool National Synchrotron Light Source II

http://www.bnl.gov/ps/images/NSLS2-D4851011-620px.jpg

And i am jealous of your inverter what a nice thing to have.

These are nice welders for using out of the shop or for basic stick welding in the shop. You can run revers if you ever need to, but there are no other bells and whistles to it. $300 or less is a good score.

Ohhhh I am getting flashbacks....

We had several of those on my Destroyer. They are good stick machines.
But do not get salt water in them... They do not like it, and blow up like
the Fourth of July! I did get to scream at the poor bastard who took it
topside! I heard he took it up was headed there to stop him, I was seconds
late. Salt spray and 3 phase power, not a good combination...

The EM's said all the IGBT's were fried, we tossed it over the side, I threated
the idiot Fireman we should tie it to his leg first!!!

I also suggest to take the cover off and blow out the dust, inverter do not
like to be dirty.

Back