Potential Vfd Motor For Craftsman Lathe?

Hi,
That should do the job, but remember the original motor is a 56 frame and that one is a 143 and for starters, the shaft size is 1" vs 5/8" on the original.
Do a search for NEMA motor sizes as I am not sure it will fit in place without some modifications.
Yes, there are 56 frame 1HP 3PH motors available as I found one on ebay that is going in my Craftsman 12x36.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
That should do the job, but remember the original motor is a 56 frame and that one is a 143 and for starters, the shaft size is 1" vs 5/8" on the original.
Do a search for NEMA motor sizes as I am not sure it will fit in place without some modifications.
Yes, there are 56 frame 1HP 3PH motors available as I found one on ebay that is going in my Craftsman 12x36.

Hope this helps.

that helped a lot thanks! im gonna do more research and find one that hopefully is a direct fit or one that fits with little modification. what HP size am i looking for. the one on there now is a 1/2 hp

that helped a lot thanks! im gonna do more research and find one that hopefully is a direct fit or one that fits with little modification. what HP size am i looking for. the one on there now is a 1/2 hp
I think if you check the nameplate of the motor you have now, you will find it is a 56 frame.
I went with the 1 HP motor because of the needed torque at low speeds. Mine has the original 1/2 HP motor also, but I intend to use the original pulleys and therefore wanted to try and regain the torque that would normally be gained by pulley reduction.
I don't think there is a larger motor in a 56 frame so that is what I went with.

i was thinking of this one. it spins 3600 rpms. not that id ever need it but i figured better more than not enough?

Remember, that twice the speed at the same HP is half the torque! Using a VFD, you can overspeed the motor, but that is at constant HP. So that means the torque goes down as the speed goes up! Besides that, how fast do you really want to turn this lathe???

Remember, that twice the speed at the same HP is half the torque! Using a VFD, you can overspeed the motor, but that is at constant HP. So that means the torque goes down as the speed goes up! Besides that, how fast do you really want to turn this lathe???

not that fast lol. probably not more than 1800 however i read the smaller the work the faster the speed has to be due to the reduced diameter

Back