Porosity With Tig On Mild Steel.

wrong gas from supplier is not unheard of

The gas is the first time I have used a disposable cylinder of pure argon. I do so little tig that the phenomenal cost of a hire cylinder it out the question.
In all the welding I have done to date I have never seen this problem as bad.
A touch of porosity maybe at the start when the line was empty but no more.
I will try one last go with the gas cranked way up and the amps down as low as possible and still arc.
Still if needed I can now fall back onto stainless wire.

this is our dry season so humidity was down in the mid 50's very nice.

Something is very wrong there. That must be the wrong gas or you're just not getting good shielding. Is there a breeze or fan blowing that could be blowing the shielding gas away? Are there sparks when you're welding?(there should never be sparks) What cup size and flow rate are you using? How much tungsten stick out? Is your tungsten contaminated?(does it look black and sooty?)

IMG_20160510_130225.jpg
This is mild steel with a 3/32" 2% lanthanated tungsten, #8 cup with about 15cfh argon using er70s2 filler and I'm just a hack garage welder.

YUP..THATS WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE.....

TUNGSTEN TO FAR OUT? MAYBE

The people at Miller told me that too much gas flow can be as bad as not enough.

I've never experienced porous welds like that that weren't caused by a lack of shielding gas.

I had a similar experience with my MIG. It turned out that I didn't have the hose pushed in correctly. You might check to see that your hose connection is correctly seated.

As Franco says check connections and check hose from solinoid to torch, a small burn hole in the hose can sometimes pull o2 into the line. Sure looks like a gas problem to me.

are you welding ac or dc..straight or reversed?

you may be set up for the wrong weld type..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back