Poly-v Vs. V Belts Vs. Link Belts For Vibration

A poly v is the way to go, here is why. Years ago i thread ground gages, on j&l grinders. We had chatter problems, so we went from v belts on the grinding wheel spindle to the drive motor, to poly v, it helped tremendously.

A new Lathe always a good idea. LOL :encourage::encourage::encourage:

indeed, I'd love a PM1030 or PM1127. Perhaps even a PM1228 :) A mill would be on the list before any of that. The Atlas might be old and quirky, but it is better at being a lathe than my drill press is at being a mill :D

No, not a new one. A better old one. Then he'll have an entirely new set of things to fix and improve.

man, I just finished getting my last lathe right when I bought this one and got rid of that one! Another couple of years of working on this one and I should be just about starting to make things with it, then it'll be time to buy another tool to fix :)

A poly v is the way to go, here is why. Years ago i thread ground gages, on j&l grinders. We had chatter problems, so we went from v belts on the grinding wheel spindle to the drive motor, to poly v, it helped tremendously.

thanks for the input, that matches well with Ken's feedback above!

Is there any variation in quality with poly-V belts the way there is with V-belts? I've had some V-belts that are downright lumpy and I've heard of others that have had the same problem. Stick to automotive grade or?

Here is a video made by Matthias Wandel showing the effects of V belts on his tablesaw.

My experience with link belts is different than in the video. Although Matthias finds the whine of the link belt a bother on his tablesaw, I always use hearing protection and thus not an issue. As for the breaking of the links, I never had one go on any equipment I have installed them on. My first use is on my saw with a 3 hp motor. Been years and the original belt is still on the machine.
Pierre

The poly-v belts have pretty much replaced traditional v-belts in the automotive industry for quite a few years now. I can see how just the basic design and the addition of a constant state tensioner would improve efficiency and run smoother. Mike

Are the link belts directional? Broken links maybe the result of motor torque.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Are the link belts directional? Broken links maybe the result of motor torque.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Yes link belts are directional. And I have been running them on my Craftsman 12" lathe and 10" table saw with no issues for at least 8 years.

Back