Poly V Pulley - First Time Making One

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
Making a new Poly V Pulley from 7075 Aluminum to rebuilt a 1980s Craftsman 12" Wood Lathe Model 113.228360.

Before I could make this pulley, I had to do a little research to figure out the pitch options for Poly V belts, I had never cut grooves for them before. Poly V Carbide Inserts are available but for just one project, I ground a 40 Degree Poly V tool-bit out of High Speed Steel. Custom grinding HSS Tools adds a lot of versatility to the projects you can complete. Once I knew the pitch of the grooves, I also had to measure over wires to figure out the depth to cut the grooves for this pulley.

The pulley was machined on my Precious Matthews 1440TL Metal Lathe. Using an Atlas Collet chuck and a 3 Jaw chuck. I used my Jet JMD18 Mill Drill to drill and tap the set screw hole, using a Mitutoyo edge finder to ensure the hole was located correctly in the pulley.

I did experience a DRO issue where it was not reading correctly at just one diameter. Caused me to wreck the first part so I got to make it twice. As always good learning.

Back