• Manual 2 ton screw press

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simple power hacksaw (less motor)

• Something else

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok here is a simple question. What is a community build and how does it work? :thinking: I sort of read some of the post about the first one but it was underway when I joined.

Jeff

Ok here is a simple question. What is a community build and how does it work? :thinking: I sort of read some of the post about the first one but it was underway when I joined.

Jeff

Jeff,

In a community build project each participant makes a number of equal parts, as many as the number of participants. The finished parts are then distributed to all the participants, by post, and each one puts them together to finish the project.

I hope that's clear enough.
José

Jeff,
A Community build starts with picking a project to make and dividing up the parts between the people. Say we pick a Pantograph to build and there is 10 different parts to make and there is 10 people that joined the build. Each person would make 10 of the parts that he picked to make and he would save one for himself and send the rest out, sometimes to one person or to 9 different people. When the project is done everyone will have a complete Pantograph. The costs involved on the project will be divided up fairly at the end, as shipping and material of big and small parts cost different. Everybody in the group and the forum will help on advice if needed as some are new to machining and some have been doing it for awhile. Pick a part that you have the machine to make it on. The specs. of the project will be set at the start, but could be changed later if everyone agrees. Everyone will have drawings to make the parts from. Any other questions please ask.
Paul

There is a very nice drill sharpener for dusl point charpening in this issue of home shop machinist that would make a good community build that most members could bui;d along with the project and some of the mor experienced could coach us newbies along in making our own. Just about any one of us could use a good dual point drill sharpener
I know I sure could it would make the bits cut much better than I can do even with the starett drill gauge.m tom

Tom,
Do you have plans for it, if so please post it and we can see who is willing to join a build for it.
Paul

What about a sheet metal brake. I have a nice set of drawings for a 24" press brake. But building all the parts by yourself runs into a lot of time. Setups and dividing the parts up would make this much better to build.

The drawings are here. JRW sheetmetal brake.
http://homemetalshopclub.org/projects/project.html

How about a pair of collet blocks? I'm sure all of us newbies want/need them. Maybe to fit a less expensive collet set.

Sorry guys I lost track of this post. When I started the poll there was a good response for the Pantograph so I posted a sign up post for it when the poll ended and got no takers so I forgot about it. The best thing to do is start a poll and see if you have a good response and go from there.
Paul

Back