Pocket Ruler - what do you like?

Most of my life I have carried a Starrett #C604RE, it is a 6" X 3/4"ridgid spring tempered rule with 8ths 16ths, 32nds and 64ths plus end graduations in 32nds on both ends of one side. I consider those flimsy pocket clip ones as junk at best. My overalls have a pocket in the front that fits a 6" rule, so I always have it easily available for use.
I have had that same scale for 30 yrs. It’s my go-to most of the time. It’s been used so much that all of the edges are worn smooth and I’ve had to re-black the graduations to read it. There are times when the end graduations are the only way to get a measurement in tight spaces. I picked up another at a swap meet last year for my home shop.

The Starrett scales are quite accurately engraved, I think they are first coated with a resist, then scribed through the resist, and acid etched, if you look at them under fairly powerful magnification, you can see that the graduations are not cut with a tool, they are accurate enough that when setting calipers one can work to a few thousandths rather easily on nominal dimensions.

I need a better pocket ruler. What should I be looking for? What's the best that people have found?
I have “several,” but the two I keep handy are 6” x 3/4” rigid scales; one is inch/metric the other is inch/inch with end graduations. I’ll add photos when I’m back in the shop.

Photos:
IMG_6720_Radiant_Photo.jpeg
IMG_6721_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

Last edited:
Starrett and Lufkin both make fine steel rules. Get one with the scales you like to use, there are millions of 'em out there. Just watch out for tenth-inches, they'll bite you in the azz when you least expect it.
what do you mean? I love my tenth scale.

The thin Starrett scales , an engineers cheap ash vernier caliper and a Starrett 1/4" blade depth mic ( cheap ) is what I carried around just to get a feel of the problem . They constantly fell out and went missing , never to be found again .

I have been this one and it’s other brothers in my shirt pocket for the last 25 years. Quick and flexible. Good enough for not critical stuff. If we need better, grab a caliper or mic as required.
Pierre
3F4894EE-2FCE-4061-8AB4-AD38C9AE1066.jpeg

what do you mean? I love my tenth scale.
You have never grabbed it for a quickie and thought you were counting quarters when you were really counting fifths? Bite you in the azz, I'll tell ya! What's even worse is those engineering tape measures in tenth-feet... Those mistakes are always caught after the saw or drill is used.

You have never grabbed it for a quickie and thought you were counting quarters when you were really counting fifths? Bite you in the azz, I'll tell ya! What's even worse is those engineering tape measures in tenth-feet... Those mistakes are always caught after the saw or drill is used.
I can identify with this: I do have scales that have “decimal” graduations, but think in fractions when using scales to measure in inches.

I can identify with this: I do have scales that have “decimal” graduations, but think in fractions when using scales to measure in inches.
I have never done that. As a matter of fact I like 10ths so much, I bought more 10th scales at Cabin Fever 2 years ago.
10ths are great... no problem going from fraction to 10ths. or vice versa.

Back