PM935 Spindle tool

GA Gyro

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi to folks that own a PM935 or 949...

I am making a spindle wrench, the flat tool with two pins sticking up, to loosen the spindle ring nut...

What is the distance, center to center, of the two pin holes in the spindle?

THX in advance, appreciate it!

John

I measured the distance using a caliper on my spanner wrench when adjusted to be inserted in the holes. The average of the two measurements is 2.686". Also, you might want to PM Ryan (Smudgemo). He built his own tool also.

I originally removed mine with a strap wrench to adjust the set screw that is typically adjusted in too far. The Proto 2" face spanner from Enco is the way to go. Model #328-6324. I bought one eventually on one of their super sales.

-Joe

It's still early for me....the average is of the inner - outer measurements on the two pins.

I measured the distance using a caliper on my spanner wrench when adjusted to be inserted in the holes. The average of the two measurements is 2.686". Also, you might want to PM Ryan (Smudgemo). He built his own tool also.

I originally removed mine with a strap wrench to adjust the set screw that is typically adjusted in too far. The Proto 2" face spanner from Enco is the way to go. Model #328-6324. I bought one eventually on one of their super sales.

-Joe

THX!

I have not gotten back to the spindle wrench in a few days... that pesky thing called work poked its head up again.
Cold weather and a heating/AC business means I get called out... :)

Hope to get down into the shop tomorrow afternoon (should be done with work by early afternoon). Need to get that pin in spindle adjusted. I have been chucking end mills in a 3 jaw drill chuck so far... works, but... it is just not right. Which is enough reason for me to resolve the issue.

THX again for the input.

John

I can't recall whether this was my design or not, but it's cheap, fast and easy to make, and works. The only measurement you need is to make sure the bolts you use as pins fit the holes.
16266994240_f7550989a1_k.jpg16452675171_73b5e84026_k.jpg

You might already know this, but there is a set screw on the back side of the spindle above the nut. The nut is threaded reverse threads, and the pin you want to back out is essentially a set screw under a second set screw (IDK if there is a more accurate term for it, but you get what you pay for.) I found that if you tighten the set screw too much, the quill doesn't retract properly on its own. Also too loose or tight is bad. I'd probably make a mark before disassembly. And watch out - when the threads let loose, the spindle will drop quickly.

-Ryan

16266994240_f7550989a1_k.jpg 16452675171_73b5e84026_k.jpg

Back