PM45 Mill Auto-Feed

Ray C

Registered
Registered
All,

In another thread, I mentioned the PM45 auto downfeed feature. Someone asked if I could explain it so, here you go...

The side of the mill has two additional selector switches. One is just on/off for the auto feed. The other is the inches per revolution of feed rate.

SelectorKnobs.JPG

Once they are set to your needs, you rotate and adjust the depth collar (index finger) and lock it with the screw tab (thumb). The collar is marked in 1/8" increments but it's infinite and has no set detent positions. You can see at the web of my hand, another little knob. That will be explained later.

DepthSetting.JPG

The handle crank has two positions. In the straight position, the quill is manually operated like any normal quill.
Handle1.JPG

When you push the handles away from the head, the autodrive kicks in. It slowly rotates it under power just as though you were operating it. When it reaches the set depth, the handles pop back to the straight position and the quill returns. At any time while in auto feed mode, you can push the handle toward the head and disengage power feed.

Handle2.JPG

Couple notes... you'll notice I've removed the bottom handle grip on the crank. It kept getting in the way. Also, if you look at the second picture from the top -the one of the depth collar, you'll see another knob just behind the web of my hand. That knob can be screwed-down to prevent from accidentally engaging the down-feed by accidentally pushing outward on the handle.

SelectorKnobs.JPG DepthSetting.JPG Handle1.JPG Handle2.JPG

Very cool Ray. I didn't get the PF option.

Can you set a downward travel limit while in manual mode? Kind of like a depth stop on a drill press?

Is there a way to do a manual down fine feed?

Gary

No, it doesn't have a built-in stop like you see on drill presses. Probably a good thing as if you had a manual stop set and also set the power feed for greater travel, something would have to give -and that power downfeed has serious torque! I think I know what would win.

On the front, there's a small crank wheel for manual fine feed. It has calibration lines but like many other fine-feeds, the calibration lines are a rough approximation. The fine-feed crank works smoothly though and if you have a caliper-like DRO attached (which I do) it's very easy to set down to half-thou. The quill can also be locked in any position.

It's a very nice mill... A workhorse that can sprint and do fine work too.

Ray

Very cool Ray. I didn't get the PF option.

Can you set a downward travel limit while in manual mode? Kind of like a depth stop on a drill press?

Is there a way to do a manual down fine feed?

Gary

Hey Ray!

That was me.. Thanks for the demo! That does help me, as I am trying to find a way to retrofit my machine.. Thanks man!

Bernie

No problem. I think it will be challenging to design something like this into an existing mill. Impossible? Nothing is impossible. Tricky -heck yeah!

Ray

Hey Ray!

That was me.. Thanks for the demo! That does help me, as I am trying to find a way to retrofit my machine.. Thanks man!

Bernie

No, it doesn't have a built-in stop like you see on drill presses. Probably a good thing as if you had a manual stop set and also set the power feed for greater travel, something would have to give -and that power downfeed has serious torque! I think I know what would win.

Ray

Thanks ray.

I was just wondering if maybe it was like a Bridgeport that stops the feed when it hits the stop.

I really like to ability to set the depth, like for drilling to a certain depth or counter sinking a bunch of holes.

Gary

It was a lifesaver on the turret plate. All the counter-sinks and hole chamfers came out even. Do realize though this probably does not have repeatable accuracy tighter than say a few thou because it's purely a mechanical disengage driven by a very clever mechanism with a couple simple non-precision gears.

It takes a little practice and getting used to for drilling and in the beginning, I must admit to snapping a couple smaller drill bits. You get the hang of it after a while and watching the chips and curls is the best indicator if things are going right. Sound too... Need to hear if the cut sounds good.

It's an absolute dream for boring! Finish comes out great.

Ray

Thanks ray.

I was just wondering if maybe it was like a Bridgeport that stops the feed when it hits the stop.

I really like to ability to set the depth, like for drilling to a certain depth or counter sinking a bunch of holes.

Gary

Great post Ray.

Gary

Ray

Actually there is a way & I do it all the time without any issues, very useful & no risk of damaging anything as in the case Ray mentioned. In manual mode the depth collar can be used as a depth stop. I figured this out when chatting with Matt when I first got my mill as mine did not auto disengage with power feed. Turns out the stop pin that disengages the handle was sheared off but of course Matt quickly sent me a replacement so I didn't have to make one. Matt told me the depth collar was only used for power feed. Since I had mine apart to replace the stop pin, I know there are pins on the depth collar & one of them can be used as a depth stop.

So in manual mode, lower the quill to the desired depth, with the depth collar lock loose, rotate the depth collar counter clockwise until it stops which should be past the 0 mark. Then lock the depth collar. You now have a depth stop. Just remember the pin in the depth collar that is acting like a depth stop is like 3-4mmØ or so, I forget. So when you get to your depth, don't go pulling on the quill handle with all you weight & there is no reason to do anyway.

This of course does not work in fine feed mode because the depth collar will act the same way as in power feed mode & will disengage the fine feed if you reach 0 on the depth collar. With that said, when using fine feed, be sure to set the depth collar so that you don't disengage while working with the depth you need.

I can post pics if anyone wants.

Back