PM1440GT Spider Project

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
There are some plans floating around for a spider that fits the 1340GT - but I didn't find anything specific for the 1440 - I only play an engineer on TV so don't expect drawings but I'll take some measurements if anyone wants them. It's a tight fit, but fits. I wanted it to be low profile so I could fit the shortest barrels possible in the head stock and not do any alteration to the spindle. The only thing I had to do is trim around existing spindle hole a little bit.

This is my first real machining project that was for something other than a paperweight.

22-02-23 10-08-00 7075.jpg
22-02-24 14-25-19 7082.jpg

Something I've been wanting to share as well... No amount of youtube university (Abom79 / This Old Tony) can make you understand how awesome real drill bits and real taps are until you use them. I can't imagine how much money I've wasted on bits and taps from big box stores that are absolute garbage despite the cost.

Multiple threads ( no pun intended ) regarding tap and die choices here in the past . This is $$$$$ well spent if serious about machining . :)

Multiple threads ( no pun intended ) regarding tap and die choices here in the past . This is $$$$$ well spent if serious about machining . :)

Yeah, I just get whatever size I need, made in USA, high speed steel or something hard in the 20 dollar range. Not worth messing up a 100 dollar hunk of steel, but man they cut like a hot knife through butter!

@LVLAaron

Looks nice. What did you use for starting materials for the pipe? Solid steel or a pipe of some sort? When I looked for a pipe I had an issue finding anything with an OD and ID that would fit but still have a side wall thickness large enough to support the screws.

Also looks like you cut a larger hole in the cover. Any issues with doing this?

Dave L.

@LVLAaron

Looks nice. What did you use for starting materials for the pipe? Solid steel or a pipe of some sort? When I looked for a pipe I had an issue finding anything with an OD and ID that would fit but still have a side wall thickness large enough to support the screws.

Also looks like you cut a larger hole in the cover. Any issues with doing this?

Dave L.

No issue with cutting the cover the way I did. Even with the spider removed it's a natural looking hole. Someone with greater patience and time than me could make the cut look nicer but no issues on my end.

How long did you make yours? I think most are in the 4" range. I will need to make one soon. I guess a 4.5" piece of tubing will be enough. No need wasting a bunch of metal at what it costs now.

How long did you make yours? I think most are in the 4" range. I will need to make one soon. I guess a 4.5" piece of tubing will be enough. No need wasting a bunch of metal at what it costs now.

4 sounds about right. The critical dimension (to me) was that it sticks out ~2.5 inch past the end of the spindle. That will give you enough space to work the spider bolts, but still be as short as possible.

Was surprised at how expensive the DOM tubing/metal has become. I assume the OD of the 1440GT spindle is ~2.5", so you may get by with something a bit smaller OD.

This might be worth looking at for 1440GT spider material, OD is 3.75 and ID 2.25 (does not need to match the spindle ID)

Alternative would be to bore out the core with an annular cutter, which is what I typically do for spiders 4" in length or less with a 2" depth cutter..

That 1018 would work. I shouldered the spider so it registers on the end of the spindle. Shouldn't have any problem doing that with what you linked.

Back