PM1340GT

Be advi
Ok, I’ve got some improvement.
Came out this morning checked belt, pulleys, motor cradle. Height/slack adjustment arm (motor cradle) had a little play at the top. A new bolt & washer & solid as a rock.
Fire up the lathe, take a pass, same thing.

So I go to pushing & pulling at top of my tool post. Sure enough a small knock was heard.
Fired the lathe back up, set the power feed & pulled on tool post while the machine was making a cut, nice & smooth.
So I set my mag base with DI on the cast web between ways with pointer resting on the back side of carriage. The knock I heard was about .001 movement on my DI.
Made a gib adjustment & it’s pretty good.

This is a good thing!

I appreciate everyone’s replies & insight.
Thank you all very much. Hopefully smooth sailing from here on out.

Randall
Be advised that on the 1340GT, the further you have the compound cranked out, the more spongy ( less rigid ) the tool post will be. For best results pull your tool post in and on top of the compound swivel circle. I went to a solid tool post on mine and it’s a huge difference.

Ok, I’ve got some improvement.
Came out this morning checked belt, pulleys, motor cradle. Height/slack adjustment arm (motor cradle) had a little play at the top. A new bolt & washer & solid as a rock.
Fire up the lathe, take a pass, same thing.

So I go to pushing & pulling at top of my tool post. Sure enough a small knock was heard.
Fired the lathe back up, set the power feed & pulled on tool post while the machine was making a cut, nice & smooth.
So I set my mag base with DI on the cast web between ways with pointer resting on the back side of carriage. The knock I heard was about .001 movement on my DI.
Made a gib adjustment & it’s pretty good.

This is a good thing!

I appreciate everyone’s replies & insight.
Thank you all very much. Hopefully smooth sailing from here on out.

Randall
It's a never ending learning process Sir. Enjoy. :)

Unusual for the gibs to be loose on a new machine, the other recommendation would be to use the cross slide lock when doing your finishing cut and if doing deeper turning. If you have a DRO scale covering the lock, you can always put a cross slide lock on the other side of the carriage. I also recall that that after a few years of use with my 1340GT, the back carriage gib wore and I would get some chatter when parting. They all need periodic adjustment.

Be advi

Be advised that on the 1340GT, the further you have the compound cranked out, the more spongy ( less rigid ) the tool post will be. For best results pull your tool post in and on top of the compound swivel circle. I went to a solid tool post on mine and it’s a huge difference.

Right on.
Earlier today after the gib adjustment, I actually turned my compound so it was pretty much sitting right on top of the cross slide. I felt like it may give a little extra rigidity.
Hahaha…sorry, I just said what you told me in a different way.
Thanks, David

Unusual for the gibs to be loose on a new machine, the other recommendation would be to use the cross slide lock when doing your finishing cut and if doing deeper turning. If you have a DRO scale covering the lock, you can always put a cross slide lock on the other side of the carriage. I also recall that that after a few years of use with my 1340GT, the back carriage gib wore and I would get some chatter when parting. They all need periodic adjustment.

I wouldn’t say they were loose, they just had that .001 of rock at the back side of the carriage. Maybe they just weren’t optimal.?.?.? I left the mag base/DI in place while I did the adjustment to make sure I got rid of the rock after I locked everything back down. I hope I didn’t introduce too much drag. There’s some, it’s easy to turn the hand wheel, but the way wipers are now leaving marks on the ways. Maybe it’s just because of the oil. My other lathe has similar material on it & when I would wipe it clean to re-oil, that black material would always smear all over he place. Kind of like the oil was breaking the material down.

Thanks, Mark

Back