Pm1340gt Belt Size

Hi Dan,

Pulley is outside diameter, but there is a wide range. This pulley by TB Woods BK2834 is a 3/4" bore, 2.95" outer diameter and B size belt that should work with the stock motor. It should work with a BX25 belt length. The stock motor pulley is 2.2"OD and 3.5"OD. I use a 2.6" pulley (7/8" bore) on my machine, but I have the inverter motor set for 120Hz on the top end.
TB Woods BK2834 pulley cost is $11.26. https://www.amazon.com/TB-Woods-BK2834-Bored-Section/dp/B003N17PQA
Mark

I bought the .5" link belt from Harbor Freight, I think it was $30 for 5', enough for two belts. I tried the 5/8" link belt but it was too stiff.
I now only need one belt for both pulleys, the trick is to make it shorter than the stock belt, that gives you more room for adjustment. Reverse hasn't been a problem, maybe because I used a .5" instead of a 5/8" so it sits lower, I really don't know.

B profile link belt here also. No issues with it so far although I don't have many hours on my machine. As mentioned in another thread I have had one on my mill for 10 plus years that I run in reverse occasionally and have had no issues. I have not tried it on the low speed pulleys to see if it will fit. However I have a few extra links if it needs adjustment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, those tabs underneath need to "go with the flow".

I recently built a KMG belt grinder and used the Fenner Powertwist belt. Between some really nice pulleys and the belt, it runs unbelievably smooth. I do run the grinder in reverse from time to time for some slack belt grinding, but very slowly.

Fenner was quite firm on their position of not reversing the belt when I talked to them. Of course, there is always product liability issues at play. But when one looks at the layout of the belt it is conceivable that the tabs underneath could fold on you in reverse and cause a wreck.

In no way am I disputing that Fenner said NOGO on reversing their belts. A few months ago I enailed Fenner about a B series belt for my Grizzly G0695 asking them the same question....."can I reverse with the Fenner belt?" The answer they gave me was YES as long as the machine comes to a complete stop before changing direction. The deal breaker however was, the pully diameters must be greater than 5" to use their belt.

I wish that I saved that email to post for you.....

EDIT

I found the correspondance.....it wasn't email, it was Youtube. Here are screenshots of the convo: They are screen shots.....you have to piece them together though.

Screenshot_2017-01-01-11-37-26.png
Screenshot_2017-01-01-11-37-42.png
Screenshot_2017-01-01-11-37-53.png

Last edited:
I have now tried both 27" and a 28" long belts. The 27" is too short to go on the low speed setup easily. The 28" fits both sides but drops the motor pulley low enough to interfere with the end cap.

Too bad there is a minor design flaw in the end cap. The cover needs to provide a bit more space for belt adjustments but it doesn't. As previously mentioned, an angle grinder with flapper disc would solve that as an option.

Meanwhile I have confirmed what Mark suggested earlier in this thread. If I use the stock two step motor pulley with the Gates Tri-Powers and do not trim the cover, I need two belts. Since I now have the two different Gates lengths, that is what I will do to get started and to maintain the dual speed ranges. If I decide to go with a single step motor pulley later, Mark has suggested the size to try.

BTW, the belt that came with it was 26.25" long not 27". I know this because I cleaved it in half to get it off the machine after I made the mistake of forcing it onto the low drive side. It is definitely trash as already confirmed by others in the past.

Here's the old one and the two new.
IMG_20170112_211254.jpg

Back