Pm1236 won't turn on

springer

Active User
Registered
hello, I have had a pm1236 for almost 2 years now, no issues and have been really pleased with it. I recently moved and just got power ran and machines setup this weekend.

Problem is, my lathe won't turn on. I know I have power, the light on the front of the machine comes on and I have 244v at the plug.

Is there a circuit breaker on the motor or what else could I check? I hope the motor isn't toast.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Springer, I don't know this machine exactly, but many of these type problems are caused by:
i) kill switches on the various panels, doors and guards, with one left open
ii) some kind of latching e-stop accidentally left in the off position.

Note: I am not trying to be a wise-a$$, just trying to eliminate the easy things first.

I have even seen some guys rig up their lathes to not start unless the chuck key was back in the "holster" on the head-stock.

-brino

Hi Springer, I don't know this machine exactly, but many of these type problems are caused by:
i) kill switches on the various panels, doors and guards, with one left open
ii) some kind of latching e-stop accidentally left in the off position.

Note: I am not trying to be a wise-a$$, just trying to eliminate the easy things first.

I have even seen some guys rig up their lathes to not start unless the chuck key was back in the "holster" on the head-stock.

-brino

I hear ya, those were my first thoughts. Only ones I can think of are the gear side cover and the foot brake switch. I've tried both to no avail. I don't want to do anything drastic because I feel like it could be something simple, but I don't know what.

Good thing it was something simple! I personally hate that chuck guard. Taking it off my PM1236 was one of the best things I ever did for the lathe.

Actually there's been times I wished I had a cover like that (like when turning brass) just not one hooked into the electrics

Actually there's been times I wished I had a cover like that (like when turning brass) just not one hooked into the electrics

Unfortunately the stock guard on this particular lathe wouldn't really shield from chips very well or if at all. It only protects from slinging oil onto the wall behind the lathe (if applicable) as well as coolant if using the flood system, & prevent the spindle from being turned on if the chuck key is left in. The guard is too short.

A great alternative is to mount a LH tool bit upside down when maching brass, bronze, or cast iron.

Back