Pm1127vf-lb New Chuck Or Back Plate

Tom,

There is no twist lock, it is a direct mount with three bolts. I will give the whole thing a once over this weekend. I love improving things rather than buying new things.

3d,
Wow! That's what I get for speaking out of school. When I was researching lathes last year before I bought my new one (I went a different route), I was led to believe it had the twist lock mount, mostly by the owner's manual I guess. Sorry for adding nothing to the conversation, except some confusion. Back to square one, I'd go with Bob's advice.

Dan,
Yes, that's what I meant, but I was obviously wrong. :black eye:

Tom

So it located on a hub? I'm having a hard time imagining how this thing aligns or is fixed to the spindle. Is there a pic on this rig, I don't think I have ever seen a chuck being described and would like to see one before I ass-u-me anything more.

Dan,
Yes, that's what I meant, but I was obviously wrong. :black eye:

No worries man, I learned something new. I had not heard of cam lock until you mentioned it.

So it located on a hub? I'm having a hard time imagining how this thing aligns or is fixed to the spindle. Is there a pic on this rig, I don't think I have ever seen a chuck being described and would like to see one before I ass-u-me anything more.
Yea, the chuck registers on a hub, and then is held to the spindle with bolts or studs.

The hub runs true to the spindle? The hub is only slightly smaller than the recess it fits into? RJS alluded to this previously.

If all this is good I'd suspect internals of the chuck, scroll or the jaws are probably funky. Does the out of round follow a certain jaw if you rotate the chuck on the hub? Kinda like stupoty says but keep the dowel clamped, mark the dowel with tragic marker and rotate the whole chuck 120 degrees and see if it follows the high spot marked on the dowel.

Excellent advice Tommy. All things I will check this weekend. I have gotten very used to using the 4-jaw and indicating everything in. But, there are times when a 3 jaw would be so much simpler and faster.

20151118_205554.jpg
20151118_205546.jpg
I thought I would show a quick pic of my most recent mod... roller bearings on the steady rest. I got the idea from a guy on here that goes by Fabrickator. He posted this mod for his Grizzly G0602 10×22 lathe. It was pretty simple, just mill some fingers, turn a couple of custom screws that are a slip fit for the bearing races, turn a couple spacers, and slap it all together.

Nice idea on the steady rest. I've gotten a few good ideas from here already.

For the record I own a PM1127. You didn't say how you were measuring. My chuck is quite accurate - however it is very easy to get different "answers" when unchucking/rechucking. You really have to feel a piece of bar into the chuck. If you're just resting a bar in there, clamping down the chuck and then measuring the bar I would not be surprised with the results you're getting. If not, I agree with the suggestions above.

I don't think I follow you when you say I have to "feel" a piece of stock when chucking it. Do you mean I need to wiggle it around while tightening the jaws?

Yes, absolutely. Longer/thinner pieces - spin it; larger/shorter pieces wiggle - tighten the jaws very slowly. It is VERY easy to chuck something out of true - and if you just put the piece in a loose chuck and tighten the jaws, it is virtually guaranteed.

Back