PM1127LB + PM932V-PDF Mini Machine Shop (0-100 real quick)

...and than I realized I needed a 4x6 bandsaw to cut up stock... and a surface grinder... and a new building to house my tools in...

Funny you should say that... My mill is on the way, the lathe is back-ordered....

And I am looking at small bandsaws... :)

I think it does not stop... :)

I will be working in close quarters so an engine hoist is not really going to be an option. I won't really have room to maneuver the hoist inside, and I certainly won't have the head room, as I said I will be cutting a square hole for the head to clear the ceiling. I may be able to use the hoist right outside the shed and have the crane reach in to the shed through the raised door...

Matt is aware of my crazy plan to take the machine apart, he honestly didn't seem phased by it at all and made it sound completely doable. If I need to, I can rent equipment from a local place. They have heavy duty motorized dollies and all kinds of cool stuff!

Oh, OK...

Please do be careful... it really hurts when something that weighs hundreds of pounds lands on one's foot or arm. :(

Pictures... :)

...and than I realized I needed a 4x6 bandsaw to cut up stock... and a surface grinder... and a new building to house my tools in...

LOL So true! I already find myself looking at bandsaws and bench grinders haha it's definitely a sickness.

Oh, OK...

Please do be careful... it really hurts when something that weighs hundreds of pounds lands on one's foot or arm. :(

Pictures... :)

Definitely, safety is my #1 concern. I don't want any trips to the hospital on my watch! That's where the dolly and ramps come in though, no sustained lifting and moving, just a brief lift and transferring it to the dolly is the plan so far.

Congrats! I would love to see some pictures as I have never actually seen the variable speed model.
This will give you an idea what to expect :). I had a spot for it but I'm going to have to move stuff around and place it somewhere else as it's deeper than anticipated. Not an issue, just more time needed for moving stuff around. IMG_3983.jpgIMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg IMG_3982.jpg

Maximillion...

THX for the pictures... I have one of those coming in a week or so.

Can you measure that upper wood plate (not the lower pallet) the machine is sitting on in the pictures... need an idea of how large it is... so I can get it into my basement.

THX!

GA

Yup that is exactly what I have on it's way to me right now! Today is the big day, truck is enroute!

I presume you're talking about the base of the crate the mill is sitting on. It measures exactly 37" x 33".

When it got delivered I was short of 2"clearance to get everything inside as the cast iron base stand is in a separate crate on top of the main crate. I lowered the top crate as it was standing on four small pieces of wood which then gave me just the right amount of clearance to have the driver roll everything inside. Got me sweating for a second. The clearance I have is 6' 11". Just in case anybody needs that info.

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/43f63686/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Sheff, You are not going from zero to a hundred it is more like zero to ten thousand. You will have soooo much fun learning all about your new machines and what they can do for you. Trust me I think you did the right thing and will get a ton of fun and enjoyment along the way. I wanted to order a PM 932 with variable speed and power down feed. But being on a disability budget makes that a real non-starter. Have fun and don't forget the pics!!!

Bob

I presume you're talking about the base of the crate the mill is sitting on. It measures exactly 37" x 33".

When it got delivered I was short of 2"clearance to get everything inside as the cast iron base stand is in a separate crate on top of the main crate. I lowered the top crate as it was standing on four small pieces of wood which then gave me just the right amount of clearance to have the driver roll everything inside. Got me sweating for a second. The clearance I have is 6' 11". Just in case anybody needs that info.

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/43f63686/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Yes, that was the measurement I was looking for. Thank you for posting it!

I will have to bring the mill in through a 36" wide basement door (walk out onto the driveway in the back yard)... the physical opening is more like 35" with the door swung totally out of the way... and closer to the 33" if the door is not all the way back.
BTW: This was one of the things which gave me pause about a 935TV... getting it inside.

My plan is to remove the mill from the shipping pallet, yet leave it bolted to the crate pallet... then use some sections of 2" PVC in old fashioned Egyptian pyramid building style to roll the bottom of the crate inside, including over the door threshold. Should work... I hope... grin... :)

Just a bit of perspective, I moved my full sized BP clone 9x42 through a 36 inch door. I did take the door off of the hinges so it was out of the way, I also removed the door threshold. That gave me about 35 inches inside. I rotated the head so the motor was down on the table. I started the mill through the door, backwards, with the table cranked all the way to the right and pulled the mill through at a bit of an angle until I could crank the table the other direction. Then pulled on the other side of the mill to straighten it out and pull it the rest of the way out. No dollies or rollers, just brute force with a come-a-long attached to bolts dropped into the base mount holes. Total time was about 10 minutes from it's home to out the door where I could grab it with the crane hook.

Back