PM Site Updated

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just notice the site has been updated last week. A few new mill offerings. The PM-935T & PM-932M look nice! Price on the PM-45-CNC is much cheaper than I expected.

Yes, and by the way, you can buy the base model of the CNC machine without most of the electronics and add it later as finances allow. The base machine is around $4000.

Ray

Noticed it as well, and just when I thought I was set on the PM-45M the PM-932M pops up lol! Oh well the more options the better :)
Looking forward to seeing some detail on the new mills!

Why did they add the PM 932M? I don't see much of a difference from it to the PM45M?
Am I missing something? Biggest advantage I see is that the 932 has 5" of quill travel.

I have been talking to Matt about the new 9x35. I really like that machine, just having a hard time pulling the trigger on a $6500 machine (after i add DRO and X power). The head is a full size milling head on a 2/3 size machine.
I really like how It would have a ram, 12" of Y travel, 24" of X travel, a knee, and tilt and nod head.

Do you guys give up rigidity with the PM45M compared to a full size Bridgeport clone?
Do you ever need more Y travel? 8" does not seem like much. The 9x35 has 12" plus you have the ram travel if needed.

PM45M PDF is $2600, + $300 X power feed, + $750 DRO = $3650

I would hate to spend that much money and regret not getting the 9x35

Why did they add the PM 932M? I don't see much of a difference from it to the PM45M?
Am I missing something? Biggest advantage I see is that the 932 has 5" of quill travel.

Probabably for the same reason Grizzly added the G0750G over the G4003G lathe. Not many differences but it's available from the CM & better for Matt to offer more options.

Really, I don't see that much of a difference as far as the base machine. Not sure if the specs are accurate as the PM932M is listed as having an ever so slightly smaller table & X-travel as well as a smaller dia quill over the PM45M. I really speculated both mills as being the same exact base unit (based off the RF-45). Just the PM45M comes standard with coolant & has variable speed option & that the PM932M comes standard with X & Z power feeds along with the cast iron base but no coolant (unless I missed that somewhere).

If the PM932M was available at the time, I would have chose that over the PM45M as the coolant & variable speed option are not important to me but then again I have no regrets getting the PM45M.

I don't see the quill travel as an advantage/difference though. The PM45M is listed as having a 4-3/4" travel but my PM45M has just over 5" of travel. I'm not sure if that's because I have the PDF model though.

Img_8234_zps8f0c2504.jpg

Do you guys give up rigidity with the PM45M compared to a full size Bridgeport clone?
Do you ever need more Y travel? 8" does not seem like much.

Probably so. It's been a while since I've had machine time on real BPs but it was not a lot. I do remember BPs being more rigid but again I can't really make that good of a comparison as it has been a while. But they are two totally different animals though which are not in the same type of class. I would like to have more Y travel though. I ran out of Y travel & learned that a 5" vise can not be used to it's full capacity on this mill. But more Y means entering the realm of a full size knee mill.

Here's my Y maxed out & that's with the Z axis chip guard unmounted & lifted up for more clearance as it hits the vise. I probably could have gained sufficient travel if I removed the Y axis/base chip guard & unmounted the X axis DRO scale but I wasn't about to do all that & found a different solution to make the cut.

Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

PM45M PDF is $2600, + $300 X power feed, + $750 DRO = $3650
I would hate to spend that much money and regret not getting the 9x35

That PM935T sure does look nice though. If that was available at the time, I would have done my best to try & get that! I was drooling over a Modern 935VS-1 at the time which the PM935T looks to be the same type of beast. But that's considerably more & not sure I could get that setup in my garage. That's borderline too much machine for me. Maybe one day.

Img_8234_zps8f0c2504.jpg

Img_8234_zps8f0c2504.jpg

Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

I asked Matt about the 935 a while ago and the answer surprised me... Basically he carries it because Grizz carries one similar. It's a good machine but, I personally am very happy with my PM 45. I'm saving my pennies now for the big guns CNC machine. Yes, you heard it here frist. -That's right, Ray wants a CNC. It's going to be a year at least. All the jobs I do contribute to nearly 70% of my equipment purchases.

Yes, a BP is a more stout machine but the 45 is the next best thing going in it's class. In terms of spindle speeds and horsepower, they're on par as most BPs are belt driven (which is a Pain) with a 1-2 HP motor. The 45 has (as I recall) a 1.5 HP motor -and the advantage of lever-operated speed changes. On a few occasions, the 8" Y caused me to reposition a piece but once you make that mistake a couple times, you get smarter about setup and learn to avoid it.

Ray

Back