Pm Machines Arrived

Well Duker,
I hate to disappoint you but, I am a one man show and I will not have a day off until friday so I am moving slow. The mill is in place sitting on a concrete pad(long story). I think I will fabricate a stand in the coming weeks. My VFD and enclosure are done. I am still waiting on speed pots, switches, diodes ect. for both machines.

markknx, I dont know about a video, I do not think I can improve on what Mike-zmotorsports put out there.

My work space is pretty small but, I will only be here for about 29 months and then will be moving to Georgia and hopefully a new shop.

JD

mill.jpg mill vfd.jpg

Last edited:
Well Duker,
I hate to disappoint you but, I am a one man show and I will not have a day off until friday so I am moving slow. The mill is in place sitting on a concrete pad(long story). I think I will fabricate a stand in the coming weeks. My VFD and enclosure are done. I am still waiting on speed pots, switches, diodes ect. for both machines.

markknx, I dont know about a video, I do not think I can improve on what Mike-zmotorsports put out there.

My work space is pretty small but, I will only be here for about 29 months and then will be moving to Georgia and hopefully a new shop.

JD

JD,

No disappoint on my end, I will be in the same boat when mine gets here so I understand. I am envious you have two crates to unload! :)

Got around to uncrating the lathe still need to put her on the stand. I am waiting on a McMastercarr order for electrical components. Hope to have them running and cleaned up by Sunday.
JD

jdslathe.jpg

1340 on the stand. Just need to add a DRO from the PROS, clean and wire them up. Still waiting on a McMaster order.

1340.jpg

I did not have the time for a full blown stand for the 935 so I have mine sitting like this.
I have my mill motor turning need to finish wiring up the controls and I am copying Mikes electrical set up on the lathe.

stand.jpg

935 T-S is complete ready to make chips. My control switches are pretty simple, on/off toggle, forward/off/reverse, and a 1 OHM speed pot. My control box is a cheap gang box (plastic). I did not put an E-stop on the control side, because, I have never used/or seen an E-stop on a factory Bridgeport mill. My double off switches are there for changing belt positions, as the VFD set up is new to me.
JD

jds935.jpg

Looks very nice!

On my list is to re-wire my 935 with a nice control box similar to yours... albeit with a E-stop and MachTach.

Given AC season has started, and the mill is operational... that project may not happen until the fall.

John,
I might add a machtach down the road, I do not mind belt changes.
I will have to finish my variable speed bridgeport before the move (25 something months down the road). I just purchased a piece of property outside Sylvester, GA so I will be building a new shop. post your Machtach work so I have something to copy!
JD

Well for anyone interested here are some pics of the 1340GT. I added an aloris, DRO from DRO PROS (Magnetic scales). For wiring I copied Mike's (Zmotorsports) wiring to the letter. No problems, made a few chips. Need to do a few more test cuts. I still have a little clean up to do.

I do like the lathe and mill, I have a few grumblings on the mill which are cosmetic and not worth mentioning. My first projects will be a vise and threading a few rifle muzzles for QD can mounts.

I really like quality machine tools and will be purchasing other machines (surface grinder, band saw, etc) from them in the future. Matt has always been easy to reach, answered all my questions.

hmpics.jpg hmpic2.jpg

Back