PM DRO Manual???

Yes, that looks almost identical other than the addition of the key between the Offset and R/D keys on mine.

When mine boots up it shows "Top10-2L", so they are likely both Meister brand.

Thanks for the link, however the manual that you linked to answers some questions but still falls short of what I'm looking for. I suspect that somewhere there is a manual specifically for model, it's just finding it.
The tool offsets are programmed just like the SDM function found on most DROs. In the manual I uploaded look for the SDM instructions. For lathe specific DRO displays it's not usually specifically labelled as SDM but as Tool Offsets instead.

The reason I choose the DRO display I got is because it was lathe specific & the SDM/Tool Offsets is more easily accessible than other universal/mill DRO displays.

That additional button on yours looks like it's axis summing but that's usually found on 3 or more axis DROs. For a lathe, axis summing would commonly be for the carriage & tailstock (or compound slide if the user choose), need a scale mounted on both. I'm curious if that button even does anything on your DRO if it's only a 2 axis.

Looking at the attached PDF file from darkzero it appears that page 14 and 15 talk through setting tool offsets. The example is about work offsets and given coordinates but they are using the tool numbers. Looks like it holds 99 different coordinates so that should mean you should be able to plug in 99 different tools. Rather than punch in coordinates like the example, you should be able to insert your next tool, change the number and then set it to the same point as the last tool zero both axis and it will plug in the offset from the last tool. I would try that? Easy check is set up first tool as 1. Insert another tool set to 2 and zero. Then go back to tool 1 and see if it lines up in the right spot.
That manual and the actual readouts on my unit are just a little different and I'm still not able to get it to work. Talked with Mike at PM this morning and he's looking for detailed instructions for this unit.

The tool offsets are programmed just like the SDM function found on most DROs. In the manual I uploaded look for the SDM instructions. For lathe specific DRO displays it's not usually specifically labelled as SDM but as Tool Offsets instead.

The reason I choose the DRO display I got is because it was lathe specific & the SDM/Tool Offsets is more easily accessible than other universal/mill DRO displays.

That additional button on yours looks like it's axis summing but that's usually found on 3 or more axis DROs. For a lathe, axis summing would commonly be for the carriage & tailstock (or compound slide if the user choose), need a scale mounted on both. I'm curious if that button even does anything on your DRO if it's only a 2 axis.
This unit is just not behaving as the manual you uploaded indicates. Got hold of PM this morning and they are looking for information.

Yes the axis summing button on this unit appears to be working, but of course there's nothing to sum as there's only two scale inputs on this DRO (X&Z). When I say it's working, when I push it the status window shows "Z0+/_Z1".

What I've found so far is that using the "Tool/Base" input takes the unit into a mode that will allow the selection of one of the 99 tools:
PMLatheDRODisplayWeb.jpg

However, there is no way to program any offsets into the individual tool presets from this point. In other words this button along with the up/down arrows to its right simply select a specific tool number, and that's all. Of course I can be missing something.

The "Offset" input seems to be the place from which each tools offset from base can be set, but only for the X axis. For the life of me I cannot find a way to enter an offset for the Z axis!
PMLatheDRODisplayWeb2.jpg

Another item to note with this unit is that the "Mechanical Zero Point" function is not working either:
PMLatheDRODisplayWeb4.jpg

This is the function that will give the user a known reference point no matter the previous state of the DRO's absolute zero reference point. If you shut down the DRO and there is any movement in either axis while it's off, then the Absolute Zero point is lost. The Mechanical Zero Point function allows you to return to a known point, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I say it's not working what I mean is that again the DRO shows all the right readouts when making inputs to the buttons as specified in the manual that darkzero uploaded, but it appears that the scales shipped with this unit do not have the "reference marks" required for the DRO to establish a reference point from. Again, I could be missing something.

At this point I'll just have to wait for Mike at PM to see what he comes up with for a detailed ops manual. Should that not be forthcoming then I may try to make a video and show exactly what I am stumbling with and perhaps from there someone can point out what I'm missing.

So here's where I'm at with this DRO.

PM does not have a manual with more detail than what has already been offered up here in this thread.

As to the three function buttons that I circled in red in the photos in the above post, here's what I know.

The Tool/Base button as I stated only selects a tool number and has no input functions within that portion of the software.

The Offset button is where you can program an offset that corresponds to a given tool number (01-99), however you can only program an offset for the X axis.

And the Mechanical Zero Point function of this DRO is inoperative due to the scales not having the required reference points from which the function derives position information.

So what this model DRO provides is a "tool library" that cannot be used until a reference point is established after each time the DRO is shut off and either axis is moved. It is also a tool library that can only be programmed in the X axis.

I find it a little misleading (unless the specs have changed from the unit that I got with my lathe) that PM advertises this model as being "Fully loaded with all the features you would expect". I wonder what they mean in the part that says "Latest SDM manufactured design?
Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 8.42.05 AM.png

I just hope that no one buys this unit expecting to get a tool library with X and Z axis capabilities. And to be clear, I got this unit with my second hand lathe, so I'm not claiming to have been misled in any way. It may also be that since this unit was purchased (2017) and now, that the specs may have been changed. It would be interesting to hear from others who have this same unit and have purchased them lately, as to what the model number on the back says. This one says "Top20-2L", so perhaps there are newer versions with greater capability in line with what is currently advertised in the above photo.

I should add that the DRO functions well so far in all that it does do. As others have noted, the readout is hard to see when light hits it in a certain way, but I have fixed that with a hood made from foam board (easy fix). At this point I am just going to continue to work with it and determine with time if upgrading is worth the cost to get a fully functional tool library.

Last edited:
Unless your in a production operation and repetitively making same part, I doubt you'll miss it. I added several tool holders to library, went to trouble of engraving numbers on holders..........and.............. I never use it.

With a solid tool post, you will miss not having a functioning tool offset library. At least _I_ would. Sorry to hear about this.

Resurrecting this old thread. I purchased the PM1440GT lathe brand new with this exact same DRO (plus installation fees) back in October of 2020. I have been using the lathe, which totally rocks, and DRO for the past two years on very small and intermittent production runs. I have just now decided to use the DRO in a much more efficient and professional manner to decrease my machining time and increase production. Basically, its time for me to step up my game a little. So last night and today I've been trying to get the tools and offsets programmed. Like yourself (Jake P), I've struggled until finally giving up and calling PM. I was told today that my DRO probably doesn't support the tool offset functions even though the buttons and readouts are present on the screen. Needless to say I'm totally ****** about this because even though I hadn't used the functions before I knew I would eventually get around to it. Well that day has come and now I'm finding out I spent $800 on a DRO that basically doesn't have any more functions than a cheap battery operated iGaging DRO that you can get for around $100. I've sent a message to PM to see if they have a better display with the tool functions I need and for what price, we'll see if they respond. Unhappy and mislead.

Like yourself (Jake P), I've struggled until finally giving up and calling PM. I was told today that my DRO probably doesn't support the tool offset functions even though the buttons and readouts are present on the screen.

At least with mine there is limited use of the offset function. That is to say that the the X axis will store a tool offset memory relative to a value that you determine buy making a test cut (which must be done each time the DRO is powered down). I can't remember now exactly how that works (maybe I mentioned it here before) as I have not used the function yet. So in a sense it is usable, but with limited functionality.

A true tool offset function as I remember from my research is a system wherein the scales have reference points that the DRO can read thereby determining each time the unit is powered back on precisely where on the X axis the cross slide is located. The idea being (again as I understand it) that in a fully functional system once tool offsets are determined and programed that the user need not make a test cut to know the position of the cutting edge to the centerline of the work. Of course as the tool wears this will change, but for work that is not in excess of your ability to set offsets as well as reasonable tool wear, this stored offset would be accurate enough to get very close without taking measurements of the workpiece.

I've sent a message to PM to see if they have a better display with the tool functions I need and for what price, we'll see if they respond. Unhappy and mislead.

Again, as I illustrated in the second paragraph above, you need make sure that whatever is said back to you speaks directly to these functions and not some lose language such as:

"This Precision Matthews DRO is a dedicated Lathe specific digital readout housed in a compact, slim, high performance plastic case.
Fully loaded with all the features you would expect including. It is the ideal DRO for a cost effective solution without compromising on performance." (Emphasis mine)

I'm afraid that in todays world of what is considered acceptable marketing standards one must be very critical of everything and never assume what something means without getting specific/precise confirmation. And I'm not singling out PM here as they are simply doing what has become "acceptable" today and making a statement like that which I noted above.

It is very uncommon to use a tool library on a manual lathe, but not uncommon to have many of the generic Chinese DRO's have missing functions or not be fully functional. You could replace just the DRO head, I use the Easson 12B on my lathe and have had no issues, it has a 199 datum tool file, also a possibility is Yuri's tablet based, as well as other units. I assume you are running glass scales so they should be compatible. The ES-12B head unit runs around $300 with shipping. PM/QMT may also have them. I find the displays to be much more readable under different light conditions and the button functions to be quite straight forward. I use the 3rd axis on the tailstock where I added a magnetic scale.

Easson 12B.jpg

Attachments

• ES12B Manual Easson.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
Back