PM-833TV Z Axis Limit Switch Mounting

Andrew_G

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, and new owner of a PM-833TV mill. I'm looking for ideas on mounting the limit switch assembly for the Z axis power feed.

The PM manual suggests mounting the limit switch rail on the left side of the column, however, that's where the DRO scale is mounted. I also think the mounting rail seems a bit flimsy but that is a minor concern. The rail + moving switch seem too bulky to mount on the right side. I'm wondering how others have overcome this?

I'm considering either 1/ replacing the double switch with two individual switches that I can mount on the right side of the column with a small moving finger on the head to actuate or 2/ fabricating some brackets so that the limit switch assembly can mount beside the DRO scale.

Am I missing anything? is there an elegant solution out there ? or is there a thread about this that I should read (I looked but couldn't find much).

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, Welcome to HM.
It sounds like the 2 switch approach is the way to go. Thats the way it is on my mill's column/head Z drive.
Here is a photo of it:
Mill LS - 1.jpeg

Hope that helps.

Thanks Eddyde -
That is very useful. I like the idea of eliminating the moving wire harness as well.

cheers

Andrew

I have seen the limit switch attached to the same bracket as the DRO reader head and the limit channel attached. There are much slimmer channels that can be had then the crappy stock one that is provided. You might look at David Best's pictures for some ideas. Also a picture of how I did mine in a knee mill. I used some 80/20 channel, If I recall I needed to do some limited milling to fit the locking nut for the stops.
1686502552549.jpeg

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, and new owner of a PM-833TV mill. I'm looking for ideas on mounting the limit switch assembly for the Z axis power feed.

The PM manual suggests mounting the limit switch rail on the left side of the column, however, that's where the DRO scale is mounted. I also think the mounting rail seems a bit flimsy but that is a minor concern. The rail + moving switch seem too bulky to mount on the right side. I'm wondering how others have overcome this?

I'm considering either 1/ replacing the double switch with two individual switches that I can mount on the right side of the column with a small moving finger on the head to actuate or 2/ fabricating some brackets so that the limit switch assembly can mount beside the DRO scale.

Am I missing anything? is there an elegant solution out there ? or is there a thread about this that I should read (I looked but couldn't find much).

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
Andrew: Here is picture of how I mounted to limit switch track to the right side of my 833. I don't really like the way the cable runs but it isn't really in the way. It did require swapping the positions of the microswitches in the black housing.

Dan

Andrew: Here is picture of how I mounted to limit switch track to the right side of my 833. I don't really like the way the cable runs but it isn't really in the way. It did require swapping the positions of the microswitches in the black housing.

Dan
Oops, forgot the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1725 2.JPG
    IMG_1725 2.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 62
I have seen the limit switch attached to the same bracket as the DRO reader head and the limit channel attached. There are much slimmer channels that can be had then the crappy stock one that is provided. You might look at David Best's pictures for some ideas. Also a picture of how I did mine in a knee mill. I used some 80/20 channel, If I recall I needed to do some limited milling to fit the locking nut for the stops.
View attachment 450605
Thanks, that channel does look much better.

Oops, forgot the picture.
Thanks for that. Your installation does look better than I imagined so I will rethink using the stock parts.

I hope to get back to the mill project next week and mount the Z power feed.

Andrew

I just did mine on my 833 and the DRO as well

Attachments

• 20230621_183932.jpg
    20230621_183932.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230621_183944.jpg
    20230621_183944.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230621_183948.jpg
    20230621_183948.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 58