PM-833TV With 3 Phase Motor

IamNotImportant

Registered
Registered
So i bought this mill used. I have been so busy with other stuff, i just naturally presumed that the motor was single phase.. been running wire and getting things ready for the electrician to hook it all to the power source. Well when the man was over yesterday and we were looking things over, that's when it dawned on us.. the motor is 3 phase. So i ordered a Hitachi 2hp VFD this afternoon. Can i presume that when i get the VFD wired up to the motor, that keeping it at 60hz should be fine. Is this correct?

Power requirement on the PM-833TV is single phase input, it has its own VFD. The motor has a very wide operating range if it is the TV. The PM-833T is a gear head and has a single phase motor.
I knew that someone would chime in with this..

Yes.. and i called them, they did verify that previously that there was some that came with a 3 phase motor..

Motor Plate On Mill.jpeg

So, there's a built in VFD for speed control?

You bought it from a fellow member right? Should just need 220v single phase but the person who sold it will know how it was hooked up.

John

So, there's a built in VFD for speed control?

You bought it from a fellow member right? Should just need 220v single phase but the person who sold it will know how it was hooked up.

John
no.. i got it from another source.. not from here.. so you're saying, that i should be able to go ahead and just wire that single phase 220 i have and all should be good.. i was all prepared just do that with a cut off switch for when i am not using it..

Yeah, take a pic of the front panel. It almost certainly already has a VFD from factory

If it has a gearbox and just a F/S/R switch on the head, then it is the 833T which came with a 2 Hp motor. The only one I have seen listed is the single phase, but a 3 phase variant may have been available. If it does not have a box on the side of the head with a RPM display and speed control, then you will need a VFD to run it. You would want to directly wire the VFD output to the motor, and then get either a 3 way switch for the F/S/R which is wired to the VFD inputs that control the VFD, or set it up with what is called 3 wire control which is momentary Buttons for run/stop and a sustained F/R button for direction. Speed control wise you will want a speed pot and I would recommend a speed range of around 30-90 Hz with a gear head mill. Also a good idea to change the oil in the gear head, the stock oil tends to be pretty nasty and there is often a lot of crude in it. Do not use differential oils with high pressure additives as it can destroy yellow metals sometimes used in heads.

@IamNotImportant can you verify that you have a VFD control box with a potentiometer for speed control already?

Yeah, take a pic of the front panel. It almost certainly already has a VFD from factory

If it has a gearbox and just a F/S/R switch on the head, then it is the 833T which came with a 2 Hp motor. The only one I have seen listed is the single phase, but a 3 phase variant may have been available. If it does not have a box on the side of the head with a RPM display and speed control, then you will need a VFD to run it. You would want to directly wire the VFD output to the motor, and then get either a 3 way switch for the F/S/R which is wired to the VFD inputs that control the VFD, or set it up with what is called 3 wire control which is momentary Buttons for run/stop and a sustained F/R button for direction. Speed control wise you will want a speed pot and I would recommend a speed range of around 30-90 Hz with a gear head mill. Also a good idea to change the oil in the gear head, the stock oil tends to be pretty nasty and there is often a lot of crude in it. Do not use differential oils with high pressure additives as it can destroy yellow metals sometimes used in heads.
It is a 833tv, it does have a LED for rpm readout.. it does have a pot for direction and for speed.. so i guess it does already have it in there.. should i keep the VFD? There was only two left.. now there is one..

Back